Outdoor Kitchen Build Updated!

Ill have some pics up soon!

To answer the question earlier I chose concrete as its cheap, inexpensive, and easy to work with. Thus if I made a mistake or it didn't come out as expected it would be easy to fix and or replace.

So they came out super good on the surface, I gave em a wet wipe with a sponge about 5 hours after pouring and created some rougher areas then desired. They have sanded right out now that were a week later, Currently Ive hit it with 80 grit and 120 or something, working on the next two layers as we speak

The corners came out somewhat rough, will bring them to round with a grinder and then the same process as above. Same with the bullnose, some spots are perfect and some are rough, so I have a back of quickretes concrete with vinyl for patching, will mix it to the same color and patch the edges today and then work the bull nose in another week. Then its time to seal and set these grills in, if I dont today just for the time being so I can get to it
:goodjob:

- - - Updated - - -

So thats with the surfaces sanded down and wet, the bull noses still need to be sanded once the patched mix cures this week! When dry its much lighter so were hoping to find a medium between the dry and wet look! Overall even the wet look I'm stoked!

So ready to sand those, seal it all and set it in all place and get the stone work done!

I'm in no way diminishing the incredibly awesome amount of work you have put into this BBQ/Outdoor kitchen (and I'm totally hiring you to build one for me :D ) but looking at the pics makes me think of something of a missed opportunity. Namely, I wonder if you could have incorporated removable service panels into the body somehow? My own experience with my outdoor kitchen is that, if something goes haywire with either electrical or plumbing, it is a royal pain to try to squeeze myself into those little access doors.

I realize access panels would be hard to do, but they would make servicing any problems a lot easier.

Just a thought. Otherwise this thread is AWESOME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in no way diminishing the incredibly awesome amount of work you have put into this BBQ/Outdoor kitchen (and I'm totally hiring you to build one for me :D ) but looking at the pics makes me think of something of a missed opportunity. Namely, I wonder if you could have incorporated removable service panels into the body somehow? My own experience with my outdoor kitchen is that, if something goes haywire with either electrical or plumbing, it is a royal pain to try to squeeze myself into those little access doors.

I realize access panels would be hard to do, but they would make servicing any problems a lot easier.

Just a thought. Otherwise this thread is AWESOME!!

A very valid thought and i have one outlet below that i just realized isn't working. Time to call the old man and get him to fix his half assed work :) Only kidding, but ill be calling him to help as he's my electrical advice guy

I crawler below once puttng the units in to see how tight the backs were to the concrete and those doors are small! Im by no means a big guy but that was some serious effort to get up in there

And here are the units placed into the counter!

Everything fits, Im actually going to cut back the insert holes 1 more inch to get the grill in deeper, it fits fine but the metal that sits on the counter on the sides of both the grill and bar caddy sit out about an ince over the edge where the bull nose starts (hard to see here ill show some better pics later, so a few small cuts with a concrete blade and circ saw and its time to do the final setting into place then onto the stone. I also have to figure out the sink drainage as its going to be tight up to the metal housing for the trash can slide out. We shall see

The concrete I sanded with everything from 60 grit up to 400 grit, used the 3m product sandpaper and it worked great, I did a quick acid wash and scrub with standard pool acid to etch it and have since done two layers of the quikrete wet look sealer. It looks superb and is still slightly lighter then the earlier wet photo but overall I'm super happy!

So last thought is what to do under the over hang before doing the stone? Stainless steel sheet metal or any other ideas? I haven't come up with any good solution

Picture of what's there?

You put lights under there, right?

Yep, just led lights that are in cut out, 1"x7" rectangles for the lights cut outs, the rest is just backboard, nothing special under there

- - - Updated - - -

I cut the concrete back and inch today on the cut outs and niched the bull nose to get the units to slip in all the way to where the metal around the units sits flush with the counter edge, Looks good! Time to set it in place to the counter permanently and silicone around the metal meeting the concrete to seal any moisture from getting under the units to the storage are! So ready to do stone, but at this point we can start the grilling likely tonight or tomorrow!

And man o man does that steel get hot even with a cover over the grill! I could cook on the units exterior surface!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh SNAP!!!

Did the stone rip down the cement board or did it not stick? What did you use to bond the stone to the cement board?

Oh SNAP!!!

Did the stone rip down the cement board or did it not stick? What did you use to bond the stone to the cement board?

They sold me a spec mix that was not meant for stone veneer applications, it doesn't have the adhesives etc it should have in it. It should be Spec mix type SVM (stone veneer mortar, not type s)

I did not know this at the time when I bought it with the stone, i just found that out yesterday after talking to the company, the supplier of the stone here sold me it with the stone so it was their mistake, Just an input on the order error that caused it.

So now monday I go meet with their manager and hopefully they will be replacing all the damaged stone and sending someone out to help since I spent 3 hours of my time doing stone work that I now have to do again. It also set my whole plans of finishing it this weekend back another few weeks now.

- - - Updated - - -

That was bout 200 dollars worth of stone that is now unusable. :brickwall:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the spec mix just did not hold to the backer board and redguard application, this should have been zero issue with the right mix

Oh and the spec mix just did not hold to the backer board and redguard application, this should have been zero issue with the right mix

I was wondering if the redguard was an issue. But it sounds like if you have the correct mortar mix it should work fine.

I like the stacked stone, it's going to look real nice. We have stacked stone on the outside facade of our raised spa and it looks really nice.

So it took a few weeks but i got all new stone and the correct mix free of charge, also went ahead and bought some kwik kote brand scratch coat to be extra sure nothing happens again.

I have applied that and have just been waiting for time to re do the stone now! keep you all updated when it happens

JJ

Thanks for updating the thread, I was wondering what became of your stone issues. Glad to hear the supplier did right by their mistake. Can't wait to see the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Very slick setup there!! I bet you're the envy of the neighborhood.

So, when you come over and build my outdoor kitchen, I'd like to do a little something different....

Kidding!! Nice DIY project. Congrats.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.