Out of town and chlorine maintenance

dcjbhm

Dec 12, 2018
Pensacola
If I am going out of town and do not have a SWG or someone to come and pour bleach in my pool, what are my options?

I’ve seen some folks on here state that they use trichlor pucks, but I have a vinyl liner and have read that you should not use trichlor in a vinyl liner pool?

21k gal in ground vinyl liner pool, sand filter.

Get a floating dispenser.

No reason to not use the trichlor pucks when you need to. Just test your CYA when you return so you know what FC level you need to follow.

How long will you be out of town? Before we installed the SWG, if we were going out of town for 4 days or less, I would bump my FC up to shock level and let her ride. We'd come home to FC of less than optimal but not 0 so I'd add enough chlorine to bring it back up to normal levels. We never had an issue with algae doing it this way.

.... I have a vinyl liner and have read that you should not use trichlor in a vinyl liner pool?
I've never heard that one before!

I bought a cheap floater and I load it up with pucks before I leave. I make sure everything is perfect, I raise the water level to account for any evaporation, boost the FC to close to shock level, and drop the floater in. I've been gone up to ten days at a stretch and have yet to come home to a mess. And believe me, checking the pool is the second thing I do after coming in. First is to turn the AC system on.

You might want to attach a string to the floater and tether it, otherwise it will end up in front of the skimmer all the time.

Reactions: JoeSelf and dcjbhm
Here is some more detailed “warning” information that I’ve found. It sounds like this would more so apply to shocking a vinyl pool with trichlor?

If you want to follow that - go ahead. We have an Algae Prevention and Treatment sub forum for you to post to in a couple months!

You do not want the trichlor to rest on the liner, obviously. And you want to maintain your water chemistry to TFP levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.