Our travertine for our coping came in and our PB just now realized it can't be used on a free form pool!!!

I am in NorCal as well. I can tell you that you can sit, lay, or put any skin you want on the travertine without hearing the tell-tale sizzle of frying skin during the summer. Sometimes I will forget and walk out front onto the driveway... that's an eye opener.
Your coping looks brand new--which is why I liked travertine so much--because of it's natural patina I thought it would age and a pool build would still look young years from now. Your pool could be a new build on here.

At the showroom they had two slabs of sample coping in the color/size we wanted and I asked why they looked so different and they explained different batches etc...but also one of the samples was 20 years old. I said I liked the 20 years old travertine sample better than the new one.

Edit: That being said I saw a new pool last year with travertine (a different manufacturer and store than the one we used) and their new stone looked like it had been beaten up--so there is wide variation in quality of the stone.

Last edited:
I went and had a look at a refurbish job my pool builder was working on while mine was in progress. That pool had a curved spa on one end, and the Travertine tile edges were also honed after being laid so that the inside and outside edges were true curves. It was quality work.

Reactions: Cena_sea
I would push back on the installer or ask your builder to bring in some else. Here are some pictures of ours currents being installed on a free form pool
Looks GREAT! I think you are absolutely right and I will be providing multiple pictures of projects that have been done.
Were you offered the bullnose finish? We were told ours would include it (and change order added it also) and now we are being told that it's not even an option for travertine??

Looking at your pictures, the curves don't seem too sharp to where they can't use that travertine you picked out. If you want that tile, don't settle for something else just because the tiler isn't skilled to do the job right. You're paying for the pool and should get what you want.
I'm afraid that is exactly what is happening. Up until now we've had a smooth construction build, I just hate to encounter this so close to the end. But you are absolutely right.

It took our mason a LONG time to measure, cut, layout, and then smooth our coping (not complaining - I appreciate the attention to detail)

From the picture it looks like the issue is with measurements, not the material, but I could be wrong. What material did the PB suggest could work?
The more replies I read, it is reassuring me that it's the lack of skill of the masonry the PB brought in. The PB actually suggested using large pieces of lueder and/or limestone which is NOT an option for me.

A quick Google search for "Travertine bullnose pavers" comes back with immediate results.
Were you offered the bullnose finish? We were told ours would include it (and change order added it also) and now we are being told that it's not even an option for travertine??

You could look at using some 2 inch flagstone for your coping.
But then the mason will still have to cut it to fit the curves... and if he can't cut travertine properly, why would you assume he can cut ANY stone properly? It's all about measuring and cutting - doesn't matter if it's travertine, flagstone, pavers, etc. I would fear that no matter what get's installed, if the same mason crew is involved, there's going to be quality issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see several possibilities. The skilled crews might be so booked that they don't fit into the PB's rime line. Or he was late paying the good ones and they blow him off now. Then the ones available are either new, or the sloppy ones who shouldn't be doing the work in the first place.

I'd have an honest convo with the PB about who he could hire and if it was worth waiting a month or 3 to get much better results that you'll be looking at for years and years. It sucks now as we all want progress, but think long term. You'll be kicking yourself forever for letting a crew do work that you're unhappy with. In just 2 or 3 years you won't even remember the waiting part. But you'll sure be looking at the stones everyday.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Try this:
1. Using a piece of carboard around 2' W x 4' L trace your bond beam from the bottom.
2. flip carboard over and make another line parrallel with traced line offset by the overhang distance you like.
3. cut a few pieces of cardboard that are the size of your coping as it comes off the pallet.
4. place the cut pieces of cardboard on the long piece aligned with overhang distance a sbest you can. It only needs to be pleasing to your eye.

This will give you the max length for the bull nose edge. And, the angle of the cut (the angle one piece of cardboard makes with the other. Divide in half, this is your miter angle. Take 1/8-1/4" off max length from each side of miter cut for joint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.