Our pool has been black for a month

Yeah that CYA test is a bugger!

Here is my tip for it-GLANCE in only. Do not look for the google eye. GLANCE in then back out. Pour from line to line, GLANCE in, Pour to the next line until you don't see the google eye at a GLANCE.

UGH so the "disappearing" point that we're supposed to aim for, then, is still at a place where if you actually look, you CAN still fairly easily see the dot?

I've been worried I'm doing that test all wrong, but I am finally seeing a difference this morning--I feel like if the cylinder was just a smidge taller, I'd have gotten to the point of the dot disappearing. So I'm guessing I'm at maybe 15ppm now, where before I was probably at 0 to 10ppm.

So I'm guessing I'm at maybe 15ppm now, where before I was probably at 0 to 10ppm.
Don't even try under 20. It's shady at best. Add 10ppm or even 15ppm of granuals in a sock hanging in front of a return. (Carrot and stick like, dont let the acid rest on the wall) and retest after it had a day or two to mix.

When did you last add CYA? If it's within the last day or so, it's too early to test. CYA takes 2-3 days in the water before it shows up in the test.

CYA_End_Point.png

Sorry it's been so long without an update--been plugging along with SLAM, probably dragging it out longer than it needs to just due to time constraints. With all my other life stuff it just isn't possible to test & adjust every hour, but depending on the day I've been getting it back up to 10PPM maybe two to five times a day, as well as vacuuming & scooping.

The vacuum is no longer picking up very much, I can vacuum for a long time and pull it out with just a little green gunk inside, not the heaps of stuff from before.

Water clarity has improved to the point of being able to still see the vacuum when it's at the bottom of the pool, though things are still too cloudy & green to be tempted to swim. This allowed us to see where a bit of leaf debris was still hanging out in the middle, which made it much easier to scoop. The dark blob used to re-accumulate in the middle of the pool floor a while after the latest vacuum/brush/scoop stirred it up, but as of a few days ago that's finally gone too. I'll post progress pics soon.

URGENT QUESTION:
Husband is out of town for a few days. We've gotten to the point where the filter cartridge can go a day or three between cleanings (versus the 3x daily we were doing for a while)--but unfortunately it got slowed down & sluggish, starting yesterday morning, right after he left. I've tried, and I just physically can not open the blasted pool pump to pull the cartridge out-- the lid is just incredibly hard to unscrew. My husband is burlier than I am and he struggles with it.

Can I keep SLAMing if I'm not running the pump?? Or running it minimally, at very sub-par flow? Like, if I just do a bunch of brushing to stir the water up after each chemical adjustment? I can get the water moving at a good clip again briefly, if I turn off & drain the pump, then start it back up, but the current doesn't keep up strength for too long after.

Do I risk really messing something up if I keep adding chlorine (at SLAM levels) to water that is not getting filtered & moved around constantly?

Spongy good to see you‘re progressing forward. You can continue to SLAM without the pump but you’re basically going to be at idle until you get the filter clean and pump going again. The chlorine kills the bad stuff and the filter cleans up the dead bodies, so one without the other is going to slow your progress.

For sure if you stop running the pump continue to chlorinate and stir the pool up manually. This will keep you from backsliding into worse algae issues.

I would not run the pump with the filter clogged for any length of time, you risk the health of the pump doing so.

Post some pics of what you’re struggling to open up and perhaps we can use leverage over brute force to massage it open.

This big black ring is supposed to unscrew. One of the handles is busted. You have to brace a foot against the base to try & hold that still, but it still feels like you're liable to rip the pipes away when you try to open it. Sometimes he uses a mallet to loosen things up somehow.

1661122455302.png1661122479437.png

Not familiar with that filter (looks like an xStream CCX1000C model), but it looks like there is a tab under the handle that would need to be lifted up as you are turning so that it clears the locking mechanism on the bottom half of the filter body. Are you lifting the tab and turning the ring counter clockwise (looking down from the top)? Also, make sure the pressure is released from the filter before attempting to loosen the ring. I believe you can buy replacement locking rings as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.