Our new VA pool construction

I've lurked in this group for a long time, reading all the valuable info. This led to a design we love. Since I love watching the pool construction builds, I'll update this with pictures as the build progresses. Some point soon, I'll also add the details of our selections and equipment.

First, here's the design of the pool. I used the wonderful advice from this forum and came up with this. The spill way on the spa is aligned facing the patio - just noticed I grabbed the wrong drawing.
C9C3EF95-0D64-4235-8D51-3E578FDCCE5C.jpeg
Day 1: They started excavation on Monday. After putting some of the forms out, I saw they were 6 feet off from where the pool should be. Fortunately or unfortunately, we had a rain shower in the afternoon that was heavy enough to stop construction. We both went back to review the plans and figure out what was wrong.
F4967F00-EB5E-4E57-8ED5-9C9DA8F0B736.jpeg

Day 2: After reviewing all the plans, they adjusted the centerline stakes. I confirmed measurements were right and they set the forms and continued excavation. I'm not sure they are use to having the wife put her husband's knee-high waterproof rubber boots on and go walking through the mud with them to verify their measurements. :)

28F5EB01-06F5-4E6E-BAD9-B67BD0C86670.jpeg

Day 3: Another crew came to clean the edges and dig the deep end. I realized they excavated where the sun shelf is down to the depth of the shallow end. Called / texted PM who showed up and asked them to put some of the excavated dirt back. Then they put the gravel in.

3D6E7BFE-2DA6-47BE-8FE0-892BE658FA7B.jpeg

I then did some research (thanks to this site) and requested they take the excavated dirt out and fill with gravel. Waiting for a response back. No work is being done on the pool today (nor was it expected).
UPDATE: they emailed back that they will have the excavation crew back to dig out the excavated dirt and fill the area with just gravel. Win!!

Attachments

• 1598566702338.png
    1598566702338.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Great looking project!!

For your main drain, you might still have time to get a channel style versus the two circles. The channel style is flat with the surface and robots won’t get stuck or delayed on them. They also look a little more modern perhaps. Not a big deal but it can eliminate a potential concern down the road. But you may be too late if they are plumbing today or soon. If interested, here’s what you would want. Though you’d need to confirm the exact selection. Debris also enters it easier because the openings are long areas versus tiny circles. The surface also gets filled with your plaster or pebble finish so they blend in much better. You can get the round style that gets filled which are also flat.

A&A Manufacturing AVSC Channel Drain Dual Suction Gunite w/Hydrostatic Relief Valve Fitting - Black #556412

Great looking project!!

For your main drain, you might still have time to get a channel style versus the two circles. The channel style is flat with the surface and robots won’t get stuck or delayed on them. They also look a little more modern perhaps. Not a big deal but it can eliminate a potential concern down the road. But you may be too late if they are plumbing today or soon. If interested, here’s what you would want. Though you’d need to confirm the exact selection. Debris also enters it easier because the openings are long areas versus tiny circles. The surface also gets filled with your plaster or pebble finish so they blend in much better. You can get the round style that gets filled which are also flat.

A&A Manufacturing AVSC Channel Drain Dual Suction Gunite w/Hydrostatic Relief Valve Fitting - Black #556412
Thank you! I told them I didn’t want the pressure side vacuum and although they will still do the plumbing, I got a credit and will purchase a robot myself. I didn’t know about the drain and will definitely ask. Fixing the excavated dirt is delaying the schedule a few days.

I’ve been busy so haven’t posted in a while. Here where we are now. Waiting for decking next and then we will winterize it and the aggregate finish will be allied in the spring.

Attachments

• 71E321F2-608B-4527-95E5-32B3E0B5E199.jpeg
    71E321F2-608B-4527-95E5-32B3E0B5E199.jpeg
    623.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 355AC481-113D-4C8A-B893-90FBA3B5EF2C.jpeg
    355AC481-113D-4C8A-B893-90FBA3B5EF2C.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2ED9C13D-902A-4550-88B8-E6E90FC1A5D2.jpeg
    2ED9C13D-902A-4550-88B8-E6E90FC1A5D2.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.