Our first above ground pool

Stallion

Bronze Supporter
May 23, 2020
We set up our first pool last weekend, a Bestway 18' pool. We are having 2 problems: the first is that the pump is leaking after the first time I opened it to clean the filter, the second is white debris, looks like dandruff, floating on the surface of the pool. Are these common problems with an easy fix?

On the pump, make sure all the fittings are as tight as can be. You might want to post about it in the Pumps and Plumbing forum.

As for the white debris, it's likely pollen.

And welcome to TFP! I suggest you read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry several times and browse around Pool School. Also check out Test Kits Compared and get either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006C, links below in my signature.

Keep us posted on the pump issue!

We don’t recommend pool store testing - it is unreliable and they normally attempt to sell unnecessary products based on their results.

We recommend testing your pool yourself with a good test kit like the one in my signature, then using those results in Pool Math (see this site’s menu) to determine what is needed.

Stallion, what have you added to the pool since you put it up? Have you ordered a test kit yet, and have you read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry yet? That’s a great place to start learning how easy it is to maintain your pool yourself!

Pool store testing is notoriously unreliable, because the person doing the testing in general has not been adequately trained. Things they do that shouldn't be done include not rinsing equipment between customers, not using the drops right, not calibrating machines daily, and so much more. Finally, they don't really care about your pool. We here at TFP don't put much stock in pool store results; so much so that we don't believe them at all.

You, in the other hand, have a vested interest in making sure your tests are accurate. You also will be trained by Pool School, our videos, and manufacturer's videos. Plus, you have a forum full of people ready to help with any tests you're having trouble with.

Not to mention you need to use an FAS-DPD kit to test chlorine during a SLAM. Pool stores usually use the OTO test, which only goes up to 5 ppm FC.

A test kit is your best bet to getting your pool clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.