Ordered our 21' AGP - Questions About Installation

Jun 12, 2012
We finally ordered our new AGP - a 21'x54" all-resin pool. I want to put out the gist of my installation plan and see if anyone notices any issues or has any suggestions. I am in Canada by the way.

First, what we ordered (everything from Pool Supplies Canada):
- 1 1/2" HP, 2 speed Hayward Turbo Flo Matrix pump​
- 21" Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter​
- 200lb Equivalent Filter Media Balls​
- Cove, wall foam, and Gorilla pad​
- Carvin StarBright White LED Return Jet Light​
- Hayward ProLogic 4 Relay PL-P4 Panel​
- Hayward T-CELL-15 Salt Cell​
- Hayward P-KIT Flow Switch​
- Jandy 3-way Never Lube Valves x2​

For the install:
1. Level pad and install concrete pads for feet​
2. Put up pool​
3. Put down 1" XPS foam board on ground inside pool.​
4. Install coving and wall foam​
5. Put down Gorilla pad over XPS​
6. Install liner and the rest​

For the equipment:

- Install pool equipment "pad" 8' from pool wall.​
- Install Hayward ProLogic with 50 amp service.​
- GFCI breaker to feed twist-lock plug for pump​
- Non-GFCI breaker to feed GFCI convenience outlet.​
- LED return light will plug into above GFCI outlet.​

For my maintenance disconnect, I think the Hayward panel breakers should meet code for this - is that true?

For bonding of pool, all resin except for continuous steel wall. I was going to bond the pool wall seem, all equipment, and use a Permacast water bonding plug in a T near the filter - this sound OK?

To drain pool for winter, I was going to install a Jandy 3-way valve on pump plumbing pipe, between pool and pump. Do I need a 3-way here or can you drain at the sand filter (without having to filter the water you are draining)? I would be relying on gravity to drain to skimmer, then bucket a bit more out, I suppose?

Would also add a 3-way valve after filter on return line, for future solar expansion, though I may really just need a 2-way here?

Thanks to anyone who read all the way through this and has any advice, criticism, or otherwise!

I would stick with sand over the filter balls.
What kind of backwash valve did you get?
If you plan for solar, then there should be a check valve after the filter into a 3 way valve. The solar return would tee back into the main return line with another check valve on the solar return. So you could add that tee and have a capped stub of pipe you can layer tie the solar into.

The rest of the install sounds reasonable, although I am not familiar with Canadian requirements.

Reactions: nick_wa
I just finished my install and we have alot of the same equipment.
My pump did not come with a twist lock plug. I cut it off and wired it direct to the Prologic panel.
I put in a pentair light and also hardwired it into the panel.
For the bonding I did not have to make a loop all the way around the pool. I went from the wall seam to all the equipment in 1 continuous feed.
I used the same perma cast bonding lug.

Remember to get a mechanical copper bonding lug from home depot. You will need it to attach the bonding wire to the wall seam.
The inspector wanted the cord for the pump to be in conduit but when I told him i need to remove it in the winter to prevent freezing he decided against the conduit as the pump is then considered temporary.

For the disconnect, the Prologic does meet code. Make sure to remind your inspector that the Prologic is water proof as well.
Good luck with the install. So much work!!!

I would stick with sand over the filter balls.
What kind of backwash valve did you get?
If you plan for solar, then there should be a check valve after the filter into a 3 way valve. The solar return would tee back into the main return line with another check valve on the solar return. So you could add that tee and have a capped stub of pipe you can layer tie the solar into.

Yeah, I read some good reviews about the filter balls, though I understand sand is tried and true!

I didn't get a backwash valve, I thought they were incorporated into the top of the filter?

I just finished my install and we have alot of the same equipment.
My pump did not come with a twist lock plug. I cut it off and wired it direct to the Prologic panel.
I put in a pentair light and also hardwired it into the panel.
For the bonding I did not have to make a loop all the way around the pool. I went from the wall seam to all the equipment in 1 continuous feed.
I used the same perma cast bonding lug.

Remember to get a mechanical copper bonding lug from home depot. You will need it to attach the bonding wire to the wall seam.
The inspector wanted the cord for the pump to be in conduit but when I told him i need to remove it in the winter to prevent freezing he decided against the conduit as the pump is then considered temporary.

For the disconnect, the Prologic does meet code. Make sure to remind your inspector that the Prologic is water proof as well.
Good luck with the install. So much work!!!

Did your pump come with a 3-prong plug, or nothing at all? I know US has code for twist-lock on pump, but if not required, I will just use 3-prong. I don't want to go direct as I want to move it in for the winter.
I will have to clarify about the bonding loop - would save a lot of copper if I don't need to go all the way around,.
I bought copper bonding lugs and split bolts, and I have liquid-tight flexible conduit to use for all my pool pad wiring.

Pump has a regular 3 prong.
The reason I hard wired it is the the prologic tells the SWG & pump to turn on and off. This way i'm not only relying on the flow switch. In the fall its only a couple min to disconnect the wiring from the Prologic.

Pump has a regular 3 prong.
The reason I hard wired it is the the prologic tells the SWG & pump to turn on and off. This way i'm not only relying on the flow switch. In the fall its only a couple min to disconnect the wiring from the Prologic.

OK cool, I may do that instead also. I was going to wire the twist-lock receptacle to the filter relay, but thinking about it now, the 2-speed likely would not work then... And you're right about the quick disconnect anyways.

Oh so the multi valve is incorporated in the top of your filter. There is an option to pump to waste you can use to drain the pool.

Yes, OK, so there likely is no need to use a 3 way between pump and skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.