Options to level uplifted concrete coping

Bam Bam

Gold Supporter
Sep 14, 2019
Columbia, SC
I’m wondering about various options to level off the uplifted concrete on one side of the pool. My preference is low budget but longlasting and professional looking. The section with the most gap between the pool has sloped significantly that it is not “comfortable” to walk on. I’m almost 100% sure that the sloping was caused by two huge oak trees that used to be right next to the fence. They were removed over 10 years ago.

Any thoughts appreciated:

1. Leave as is and just fill in the gap and repair cracks in concrete coping.

2. Remove and replace completely.

3. hire a company like Ramjack to lower the slab if possible.

Other suggestions?

Attachments

• D836BC52-A7FB-4A47-A926-62C7ED05E309.jpeg
    D836BC52-A7FB-4A47-A926-62C7ED05E309.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 74
bb,

Obviously, ripping it all out and redoing it will give you the best look, but at the greatest cost.

It appears to me that the ground around the pool has sunk, or maybe the entire pool has come up, but either way, raising the outside edge should level the coping and close the gap on the pool side. The question is how will it look when done.. :scratch:

I'd get a couple of quotes for both replacement and ram-jack lifting... You can then decide what makes the most sense, including just using it as is..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ripping apart that coping would also require replacing the waterline tile and while you are at it, plaster should also be done. If you dont have much money to spend on the pool, I suggest save and maybe opt for #1 from your options

I guess I can’t achieve everything I want!

Thanks Jim R. I’m curious - how would the entire pool move up? If the one side of the pool settled would I see indications elsewhere in the area of the yard, etc?

Thanks Neto, I should have put some context in the thread. The plan is to resurface. I got a total reno estimate that included removing & replacing the concrete to the fence line, travertine coping, retile, etc at $30K.

My motivation to tackle this is for resale. I don’t know when or if ever but I realize that I’ll either have to demolish or fix the pool at some point. Clearly the resurfacing needs to be done pronto. I’m more of a utilitarian type so if the pool is safe, looks basic good and equipment is reliable then I’m satisfied.

2nd contractor said she doesn’t renovate pools with cantilevered decking unless the entire decking is removed. As you can see in the photo the decking is around 4” thick. She said that without removing the decking she won’t know if there was movement that needs correcting. This removal necessitates the replacement of the tile. Her estimate without site visit yet is around $25K with added travertine coping, pebble tec. The first contractor’s estimate is $30K with plaster, added travertine coping, etc.

Contractor 1 explained that he had to remove the concrete decking but didn’t explain why. Being ignorant of pool renovations at the time of his visit I just accepted that his description of work was standard.

Contractor 2 explained the reason and thus I am less ignorant of the massive amount of work being quoted and why.

Contractor 3 did a site visit this week by himself. We will meet on Tuesday. He said he will discuss “options”. Now I’m wondering if there are options regarding the decking repair or just finish and tile options!

- I would appreciate any questions and guidance that I should pose to Contractor 3, 2 and 1 now that I understand my pool is atypical.

- What kind of ground and pool conditions can be encountered once deck removed that would add cost to the project?

- Any way to assess potential problems of what lies beneath from visible surroundings?

- Is adding coping a safeguard to prevent movement impacts and therefore the need to potentially repair the pool surround in the future?

. Now I understand why I kept interchanging coping and decking when I described the pool. There is no coping and my coping is decking me!

10B4D439-9661-4D03-9105-86F22D4819D0.jpeg5B9A8AD7-78B6-4C50-A0C0-F8548EF758F0.jpeg971BAAFB-0DBB-4A76-A124-7EBF191F1A35.jpeg

Cantilever coping slides over the bond beam as it expands / contracts with heat, whereas coping has an expansion joint to absorb the movement.

In the third picture, you show a crack between the tile and the cantilever coping...it’s because you don’t seal the joint between the “coping” and the tile like that with cantilever coping.

As far as the “patio” down, making the crack wider, it will need to be demo’d...but the plaster also needs to be redone, thus new tiles...break open the kids piggy bank, 25k sounds about right.

Last edited:
Thanks RoyR.

One more concern: If replacing the cantilever with coping surround does anything have to be done to the bond beam or other pool structure to maintain structural integrity? I assume a 4” slab of concrete sitting on top of the side of the pool is much heavier than travertine coping. Does this replacement create any structural or movement issues?

There’s no kids piggy bank. Just my rapidly shrinking retirement fund!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.