Options Controlling Stenner with Automation

Apr 30, 2018
Houston
Hey all,

We just finished our build and we are getting familiar with the setup and how the controller works, etc.

We have a Hayward eCommand4 (w/ Aqua Connect) and the following:

- 1 Pool+ 1 Spa LED light
- variable speed pump
- Single Speed Pump for water feature (Aux1)
- 2 actuated valves (control spa/pool)
- spa blower (Aux2)
- NG heater

I talked with my PB about making room for our Stenner on the pad and even had them add the injection fitting in the return plumbing. I just realized that I could hook the Stenner up to my controller if I had an extra relay in my controller, however, it seems my controller only has 4 relays and they are all being used (per PB). I am a bit peeved they didn't let me know that our controller would be full, or at least ask if we wanted expandability since they knew we had the injection pump.

Given my equipment, what options do I have to run my Stenner off my Hayward controller? I have a digital outdoor timer that I can use in the short term, but I really want to be able to control it with my pool automation so there is no chance it is not running without the pump being on.

Thanks!

Kitty,

I don't see any "official" options...

If you can post a couple of pics showing your Pump/Filter relay and your circuit breakers I can give you a couple of unofficial options..

Is your Stenner a 120 volt or 220 volt model??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here you go, Jim. My Stenner is a 120V unit. Wondering if I can run the Stenner and lights at the same time, or perhaps kick the spa blower off the Aux and replace it with the Stenner. I will very rarely ever use the spa blower. Stenner is currently plugged into the junction box on lower right hand side of the panel with a digital timer. Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_20181125_084610465~2.jpgIMG_20181125_084550541~4.jpg

Kitty,

Assuming your goal is just to make sure the Stenner only runs when the pump is on, you could use the Pump/Filter relay.

You can't use it as is, because your Stenner is a 120 volt model, and since the input to the pump/filter relay is from a 220 volt GFCI breaker, you can't just use one leg (120 volts..).

So this is what I would do... Notice that the Pump/Filter relay is not really being used for anything other than a place to connect two sets of wires together.. Instead of using the relay to connect the wires, I would take them off the relay and just use wire nuts to connect each set together.

I would then run power from the load side of your light relay over to one of the line inputs on the pump/filter relay. Use the load (output) side of the pump/filter relay to power your Stenner. It will only get power when the pump is being told to run.

If you are also willing to give up your Spa blower, then you could get rid of your timer and just schedule your Spa blower relay... Just run the output of your pump/filter relay to the Spa blower relay and then to the Stenner. You would obviously have to remove all wires currently on the Spa blower relay... and maybe add a manual switch..

Basically, the 120 volts would pass through the pump/filter relay only when the pump was running and then through the Spa Blower relay, only when it was scheduled to come on, and then to the Stenner...

Please let me know if this does not make sense to you. If you are not familiar with electricity, it is something that your pool builder should be able to do with no issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm not totally familiar with wiring, but I have done some stuff before. I think it makes sense - thank you for the help.

One question that I didn't really ask before: will either of these methods allow me to set the run time of the Stenner through the eCommand? Right now, obviously, I can set the run times for my main pump. If I re-wire to either of these options, will I have control over the Stenner in the timers menu? For instance, I run the main pump for 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours at night. I would only need to run my Stenner about 20 minutes during each of those periods.

One other thing I forgot about was that the run time increments are 15 minutes, which could create an issue for my bleach injection. Any way to change this in the eCommand? I assume it's software controlled and we have no way to edit that?

Kitty,

I am not all that familiar with your automation system... I looked at the manual and can't see where you can schedule for less than 15 minutes or multiple times per day, so it might be best to skip the Spa blower idea and just use the empty Pump/Filter relay to ensure the Stenner will not run when the pump is off..

The other option would be to upgrade to a more robust automation system...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.