Optimum pump speed when using heater

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Are there any conclusive studies that have been done with regards to optimum speed to run a variable speed pump when trying to heat a pool or spa? If you know of any please post the link.

Slower water through the heater should achieve a higher delta. However, I have no idea if that increase translates into higher efficiency or ultimately quicker heating of the spa or pool.

I found this ARTICLE but it is unclear if they did any actual scientific testing.

Other than satisfying the pressure switch to allow the heater to run, there is no appreciable difference in time to heat your body of water. Too high a rate will most likely cause the heater to go into bypass.

Other than satisfying the pressure switch to allow the heater to run, there is no appreciable difference in time to heat your body of water. Too high a rate will most likely cause the heater to go into bypass.

I have run my heater with Ecostar pump on full speed, and I haven't seen a bypass problem. I am also running a 500k BTU heater.

I am no scientist, but I have to think there is some optimum speed where one achieves max efficiency of the heater and the motor.

@chem geek has a good discussion about this regarding solar over HERE.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.