Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I'm in the second year of using my Hayward VSP (SP2603VSP). I got it mid-season last year. So this year I'm looking to optimize the operation of it. So here is some data first. The percent % is the percent of max rpms. While many here like to list rpms, I visualize better if I read % instead of rpms. The max rpms for this pump is 3450 rpm. Flow rate measured with FlowVis.

% rpm Watts Flowrate (gal/min)
100 1230 55
89.9 903 48
75.4 535 42
60.1 292 34
52.2 196 30
44.9 132 25
35.5 78 18
25.4 39 10
17.4 21 8

I have a heat pump. It shuts off when the percent rpm drops below 34.8 and won't turn back on until it reaches 50%. The SWG stops generating below 29% max rpm. Okay I'm looking at two operating scenarios - spring/fall season and summer season. To answer the question why two different scenarios, the pool operation differs between the two. During the spring/fall season, a bubble solar cover is on the pool whenever the pool is not in use. During the summer season, I store the solar cover away. Also the heat pump is generally running during the spring/fall season but not during the summer season. Another important operation requirement is the VSP must run at a high enough speed to run the heat pump between 4:30am-6:00am and during the warmer part of the day. The earlier time is because my wife swims laps at that time of the morning.

One question is do I really care if the SWG is not generating during the night. If not, I can run the VSP all the way down to the lowest setting. I don't turn the VSP off completely so I avoid the priming at 4:30am. For the spring/fall, I don't run a high speed session for skimming since the solar cover floating on the water doesn't let the debris float to the skimmer.

For spring/fall season, I'm thinking of running at 52.2% max rpm during 4:30-6:00am and then again from 9:00am-7:00pm. At all other times run at its lowest setting which is 17.4% max rpm. I could squeeze a few less watts out if I programmed the VSP to lower the speed down below 52.2% once the heat pump starts but above 34.8% to keep it running. Probably not worth it and also I have not looked up optimal flow rate for the heat pump.

For the summer season, the heat pump is not important and the solar cover is removed. I just need to stay above the flow rate needed for the SWG. I may also want to program one or two higher speed periods (morning and evening) for skimming anything floating in the pool. The question here is do I really need the higher speed skimming runtime. I could make it simple on myself by not reprogramming the VSP.

I skim just fine running at 1200 RPM 24/7 (34.7%) Your 35.5% will run your SWG just fine and at 78 watts will be dirt cheap. Start there and adjust the RPMs higher if you notice you need more skimming. You probably wont.

I skim just fine running at 1200 RPM 24/7 (34.7%) Your 35.5% will run your SWG just fine and at 78 watts will be dirt cheap. Start there and adjust the RPMs higher if you notice you need more skimming. You probably wont.

I assume you mean for the summer season. I need to run faster this time of year for the heat pump. Wife is temperature sensitive so she wants her water warm (86F or above). Three straight days of rain right now with temps in the upper 60/lower 70F is making the heat pump run full time during the day.

I assume you mean for the summer season. I need to run faster this time of year for the heat pump. Wife is temperature sensitive so she wants her water warm (86F or above
Ha. Yes. I forgot its not quite summer yet. Actually we reverted back to early spring and its chilly again. But after that you can lower the speeds and see how it goes.

One question is do I really care if the SWG is not generating during the night. If not, I can run the VSP all the way down to the lowest setting.
The SWG doesnt care when it runs and neither does your daily FC loss as long as you make what you lost or just a tad more.

FC loss isn't much of an issue until July when the temperatures are above 95F and sunny all day.
Even then it wont matter if you run day or night, or both. As long as you make up what you lost. So set the SWG for when you would like it to run.

I personally like mine making a little FC all of the time. So i average 40% running 24/7 at low RPM. Its a preference and 10 hours am or pm at 100% is the same thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.