Opinion on rubber bristles brush

I don't see how it can be any better then a polyester/nylon bristle brush.

Do you have a link to the rubber brush?

The problem with polyester/nylon bristles are when left outside the suns UV breaks down the polyester and the bristles break after a season or two and you start leaving bristles in the pool.

The rubber bristled brush may last longer. It could be worth a try of you hang your bush outside int he sun.

I believe mine came from BJ's Wholesale. Sorry, can't remember how long ago, but long before I discovered TFP, so water quality at the time was less than desirable... may have had some effect on the brush, even with rinsing after use. Although the bristles have hardened up a bit, they are still not as harsh as some poly I've run across over the years. I still use an 18" poly most of the time because of the contoured tips.

Rubber Brush.jpg

I believe mine came from BJ's Wholesale. Sorry, can't remember how long ago, but long before I discovered TFP, so water quality at the time was less than desirable... may have had some effect on the brush, even with rinsing after use. Although the bristles have hardened up a bit, they are still not as harsh as some poly I've run across over the years. I still use an 18" poly most of the time because of the contoured tips.
If it wasn't for the lack of curved edges which of the 2 (rubber vs poly) would you prefer?

At the time, my thinking was the rubber would be "easier" on the vinyl liner. Little did I know, using pucks and following pool $tore advice was far more harsh than the brush. So, since taking charge of my own destiny, I'll say that reasoning was probably unfounded. I now use the poly most of the time. The rubber has a squeegee blade that occasionally gets used on the vertical sidewalls, however, my robot has also made manual routine brushing obsolete. I always "feel" for a soft bristle when buying a poly brush (purely subjective). My preference? The robot has rubber brushes. (I know, not the answer you're looking for.) I think both accomplish the task, so it boils down to what works for you. I don't think one or the other is as significant as proper water care.

Just to update on this rubber vs nylon brush. I did purchase the rubber bristles brush and used it for few weeks. Yesterday I decided to go back to nylon bristle brush. I found that the rubber bristle were not doing a good job in small nooks (trims holding the liner around the steps) and harder to maneuver than nylon on a vinyl liner. So, for my pool this was a waste on money.

A couple of months ago I was in the market for a new brush, and happened to see a rubber-bristled model at Walmart. I decided to try it thinking it might wear better than the typical nylon-bristled brush. But I've found that it is MUCH harder to use, way too much friction to allow it to move easily along the pool bottom. So I'm back to nylon, but storing the brush head in a box to reduce exposure to the elements. Hopefully that will help.

Reactions: Apsuhead
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.