Opinion on CH and pentair 125 heater

Ruined

Aug 20, 2012
Read some differing opinions on this... 200 minimum, or it doesn't matter

I have an old pentair 125 heater that is well out of warranty

CH in above ground pool (vinyl) is 118. Also has SWG. Water in area is naturally quite hard and I've filled quite a bit this year due to repairs and waste vacuuming, so surprised its still lowish.

I'm thinking not bothering increasing CH b/c appears a project, plus read that its dubious whether actually needed for the heater

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sadly, pool store testing is not reliable, accurate, or repeatable.

I agree that your CH is not really relevant to your situation.

Do you have a proper test kit?

Sadly, pool store testing is not reliable, accurate, or repeatable.

I agree that your CH is not really relevant to your situation.

Do you have a proper test kit?
I used to have a good one that was recommended around these parts but it's been a while since I owned a pool

Been using strips and winging it because this pool had much larger problems than chemicals. Has been pretty much smooth sailing in terms of chem the whole year just curious about the CH issue because I never had a heater before

With a new heater, under warranty, we would say keep the CH at the low end of the heater manufacturer recommendations.

In your case, there is no need. The CH requirements for heaters are based on 100 year old steam boiler parameters. A pool heater is no steam boiler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.