Operating GloBrite Lights Without Water in Pool, Problem?

Stoopalini

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is it an issue to operate the Pentair GloBrite lights when there's no water in the pool? I turned the 3 lights on last night, so my family could see the colors, and after 25 minutes or so, one of them switched itself off (all 3 are wired to a single Pentair 300w transformer). After about 2 mins, the light switched itself back on again.

I'm wondering if the pool water helps keep the LED driver cool, and maybe it just overheated since there's no water in the pool .... If not, I think I should raise this with my PB, so it can be replaced before plaster is installed.

The manual has the following warning, so don't turn on unless submerged in water.

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I should have checked before operating them for 30 mins .... I'll bet the water keeps the LED driver cool.

Looks like I'll be buying a new light if it turns out to be damaged, as I wouldn't feel right claiming warranty on it when it was my fault :( From what I can tell, you don't need to drain water to replace these though, and each of my lights has a home run to the junction box at the equipment pad. So if I do end up needing to replace, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

They worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, so close to 2 years without issue.

I had one that wouldn't keep color with the others. No amount of syncing would get it to display the same color as the other two. The PB replaced it under warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.