Opening pool with "dead" water

I plan on selling the leftovers on craigslist, but is there anything worth keeping around?

Don't get rid of anything just yet. Listen to the experts on the forum and get your pool cleared up. It's okay to use the various forms of shock that you listed as long as you know what they add to the pool. For example, I'm pretty sure that the 5 bags of Shock Max Blue that you have is dichlor. Using Poolmath, in your 40K gallon pool, adding 5 bags of this will raise your FC by 8.3 and your CYA by 7.6. So, after the SLAM is over and it's time to raise up your CYA level, you can use this shock to kill two birds with one stone. But, you have to read through Pool School, learn to use Pool Math and understand the effect that each chemical has on your pool. I agree with faby3003 to get rid of the algicides. Good luck clearing up your swamp. The forum loves to watch these threads.

...is there anything worth keeping around?
Name
Size
Quantity
Shock max Blue
1lb
HTH Shock
1lb
Baking soda
12lb
Bioguard algicide
1 quart
Squamate algicide
1 quart
Clorox Shock
1lb
HTH stabilizer
4lb
HTH pH minus
7lb
Diatomaceous earth powder
25lb
Nava 3" chlorine tablets
50lb

Shock max Blue: Toss it. It contains copper and copper isn't good nor needed

Algaecides: toss anything with copper in it. Toss if not a polyquat type.

Baking soda: keep it, you never know, but it is cheap anyway

Shocks: OK to hold, but only use if you need a CYA boost. Some are Calcium Chloride, those are a bit better but they up your Calcium levels

HTH stabilizer: Keep this in case you ever need to increase your CYA (yes it may happen eventually)

HTH pH minus: You can use it if you have it, but don't buy more. Use Muriatic Acid instead,

Diatomaceous earth powder: Yes, keep for your filter

Nava 3" chlorine tablets: Keep this in case you go out of town

Quick update, the pool is filling faster than anticipated...which means I've probably overestimated how big the pool is, or overestimated how much water I drained out.

The water is looking waaay better and as long as the CYA level comes out fine I think it'll end up being easier to open than the state it was in before.

HBJ5Ma7.jpg

Quick update, the pool is filling faster than anticipated...which means I've probably overestimated how big the pool is, or overestimated how much water I drained out.

The water is looking waaay better and as long as the CYA level comes out fine I think it'll end up being easier to open than the state it was in before.

HBJ5Ma7.jpg
And the excitement builds :bounce:

Now that I can see the bottom, I can see that the main drain cover is detached. I pulled it out with the brush to make sure it wasn't damaged and it looks fairly new...so the old owner probably just threw it in there. Looks like once it's swimmable I'm making several dives to get it attached again.

Alright, new results in.

FC: 0
pH: 7
TA: 180
CH: 100
CYA: 30

Well that certainly brought the CYA down! Should I start slamming now? I'm using the pool math app and with 8.25% bleach in 121oz jugs and it suggests for a FC level of 12, so...6 jugs of bleach?

If you have removed as much physical debris as is practicable, start the SLAM.

Check the FC quite often the first day, less the second day and then down to 2-3 times daily as the water begins to clear. Filter and Brush, filter and brush, filter and brush!

You will need a lot more bleach.....this is not a one-time application.

Alright, new results in.

FC: 0
pH: 7
CYA: 30

Well that certainly brought the CYA down! Should I start slamming now? I'm using the pool math app and with 8.25% bleach in 121oz jugs and it suggests for a FC level of 12, so...6 jugs of bleach?

Great job reducing the CYA, perfect level. The pH looks good for the SLAM.
Assuming you are close with the 40k gallon estimate, I get just under 6 of your jugs also. Dump them in.
If you can, test often, every couple of hours today and dose back to 12ppm.

So...I put in 6 jugs of bleach about 3 hours ago and went out and checked the FC level again and got 16ppm (twice) which seems really high for what PoolMath was telling me. That doesn't seem right. Am I somehow grossly overestimating the volume of my pool?

I'm going to keep checking and wait until it drops below 12ppm and go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The average depth makes a huge difference in the volume calculation. Even if it's 10' at the deepest, the average depth might be closer to 6' than 7', especially if the sides in the deep end are sloped.

I am not sure what you were dosing for...maybe 12 and got 16+???
If that was the case, and it was me, I would adjust my gallons to 30k, dose to my target using that value, wait about 30 minutes and test for FC again. If you measure at target, you probably have a 30k pool. The measurements give you a good ball park to start. Measuring FC 30 minutes after a dose will help you get a little closer. Try it and post back your results.

I am not sure what you were dosing for...maybe 12 and got 16+???
If that was the case, and it was me, I would adjust my gallons to 30k, dose to my target using that value, wait about 30 minutes and test for FC again. If you measure at target, you probably have a 30k pool. The measurements give you a good ball park to start. Measuring FC 30 minutes after a dose will help you get a little closer. Try it and post back your results.

Possibly. I'll change my Pool Math calculations and do that whenever the FC drops below 12.

I had to do that too with poolmath. my docs said 15,000 gallons, but when adding chemicals
the poolmath is 100% accurate when filling in the pool capacity at 13,000 gallons.

I'd just go with whatever works accurately in poolmath.

Your pool looks so much better! Can't wait to see it fully cleared.

way to go!

Be prepared for funny looks from people
at the store and possibly asking why you are buying so much haha!

as a reference, I went through 38 jugs of 8.25% for a mustard slam that
took a week and a half to finish. Though the cya was 70. and that pool was 19,000 gallons.

So...I put in 6 jugs of bleach about 3 hours ago and went out and checked the FC level again and got 16ppm (twice) which seems really high for what PoolMath was telling me. That doesn't seem right. Am I somehow grossly overestimating the volume of my pool?

These two statements would suggest that your pool is indeed a smaller than you thought. :)

These two statements would suggest that your pool is indeed a smaller than you thought. :)

Works for me. Less chemicals needed overall!

Gonna backwash the filter again tonight, add more DE, and test the water again. It's been slowly going down (16, 15, 13) so I figure in a couple of hours it'll drop below 12 and I can put the appropriate amount in.

How much should I be running the pump? Should I let it run all night? Should I start running X hours per day?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.