harrysmary

Aug 13, 2018
Hudsonville, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a plaster pool 30,000 gallon. We opened it this morning and removed large debris (mostly leaves). Pump/filter is running and slowly raising water back to half skimmer level as it was a little low from closing. Pump is pulling from main drain currently and then will switch to skimmer once level is up. So, here are my water results from Taylor kit:

CYA - not registering, so very low (my kits low end is 30 and it isn’t reading at that)
Calcium - 225
Alkalinity - 215 (seems to always run high and not sure if this is a problem)
PH - 7.8
Chlorine - 0

Can someone walk me through the steps to of adding chemicals from here? Should I let the pool run 24 hours before adding any chemicals? And should I completely vacuum it first?
A main question is if I need to shock (SLAM)? It is somewhat cloudy but not terrible. I just can’t see the deep end bottom.

I'd add some bleach or liquid Chlorine (use the Pool Math app to figure out how much for your pool) to get your FC up to 4ppm, then run your pump for 24 hours and re-test then because the water is probably stratified and has different levels at different depths.

Reactions: Newdude
Should I let the pool run 24 hours before adding any chemicals? And should I completely vacuum it first?
Yes and yes. Vac at your earliest convenience because any organic crud on the bottom will chew through whatever FC you add in the meantime.
A main question is if I need to shock (SLAM)? It is somewhat cloudy but not terrible. I just can’t see the deep end bottom.
Cloudy water is an automatic fail to justify the SLAM Process. If its clear and you ever wonder if something is brewing, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

A main question is if I need to shock (SLAM)?
Absolutely SLAM the pool! Follow the instructions rigidly and your pool will be clear.

Bring the CYA to 30 (just calculate the dosage......no need to test) and begin the SLAM process.

Work on TA after the SLAM is complete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.