Opening Pool for First Time - Skimmer plugs

styopr

Jun 21, 2021
St Paul, MN
Having gotten a handle on water chemistry thanks to TFP, I'm ready to take on opening the pool on my own this year. My setup has two skimmers, each with a tall skimmer plug("Gizzmo"). Additionally, one skimmer houses a blue, two-pronged "plug" at the bottom, and the other has what appears to be a white square plug. There’s also a tab with a screw at the bottom of one skimmer. For clarity, I've included pictures. Bermuda skimmers. Do I remove every one of these? Should the tab stay put? Any guidance is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_91B24AB7-8C03-428D-A3BE-0C863ADA4F98.jpg
    IMG_91B24AB7-8C03-428D-A3BE-0C863ADA4F98.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 10
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Unscrew the two tall skimmer plug "Gizzmos".

Do NOT touch the white square plug.

I can't see the blue tab plug clearly to know what that is. Maybe after you remove the Gizzmos you can get a better pic of the tab plug.

Unscrew the two tall skimmer plug "Gizzmos".

Do NOT touch the white square plug.

I can't see the blue tab plug clearly to know what that is. Maybe after you remove the Gizzmos you can get a better pic of the tab plug.
Thank you!! I've attached a hopefully clearer picture of the blue plug.

Attachments

• IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 9
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 9
I have never seen a tabbed plug like that. I would not touch it.

Do you have a main drain in your pool?

Does the main drain connect at your equipment pad?

Yes, there's a main drain at the deep end.

There are three lines with valves: one connected to each skimmer and another to the main drain.
Then the tab plugged is not in the pipe to the main drain. I would not touch it.

The picture with the tab with the screw looks like an equalizer to balance the other open port. Not sure where the skimmer other connection is going.
I don't think my pool has an equalizer line (see pic). There are three lines coming into the pool equipment—one for each skimmer and one for the main drain. With this configuration (built in 2004), the blue tabbed and white square plugs in the skimmers seem to be permanent fixtures. Would you agree with that assessment?

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I checked the manual for the skimmer left by the previous owners, and it turns out there's a "trimmer plate"—a device for regulating the water flow into the skimmer, which then affects the flow to the pump. I've never actually used it, as the flow is controlled by the valves on the three separate lines running to the pool equipment. It seems my pool's design uses only one inlet per skimmer, which is why @ ajw22 recommends leaving it plugged - seems like, anyway!