Opening pool concerns

Sep 25, 2016
Reidsville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone!! We opened our pool today and I have several questions and concerns. After running pump for several hours and cleaning debris, gunk etc I tested the water.
Ph 6.8 -7
CH 125
FC 0
TC 0
TA 30
CYA ?? (Have new refill kit ordered)
Our cover is old and several months ago, my son's boxer got inside the fence and fell through cover leaving a big hole(we scrambled to save him, he's good) When we took the cover off, where the hole was, there was I'm assuming green algae but all of it came up when we vacuumed. My problem is the stores we went to were out of chlorine. I have 1 and a half gallon of chlorine from last year and 4 pounds of 75% calcium hypo shock. I'm planning to go to another city tomorrow to find some and pick up some baking soda. Pool math says I also need to add borax to raise ph but have never done so. What should I do today with what I have on hand?

Use what you can to get some FC in the pool. Target at least 3 ppm until you know the CYA. Watch using the cal hypo because if it is not fully dissolved it can stain the liner.
I would add enough baking soda to raise your TA by 30 ppm. No need to bother witch borax. The pH will rise a bit using the baking soda.

Reactions: Farmerswife96
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.