Opening Pool and COVID-19

gmike09

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
The weather here in GA is starting to consistently be above 60 degrees, and I am thinking about opening the pool soon to prevent a major algae outbreak. Typically when opening the pool, I remove the pool cover, balance the pool, then shock the pool using the SLAM process. Being that liquid bleach is extremely hard to get in mass quantities due to the coronavirus, would it be a problem with continuously running the pool SWG to reach shock levels? Would you recommend shocking with powered chlorine (calcium hypochlorite not dichlo/trichlo)? What are some things to look out for if shocking with powered pool shock (calcium hypochlorite)?

Thanks!

Run a test of your pool water and see what can be added.

There are general reports that liquid chlorine seems to be available. It is household bleach that is not.

The main issue with running the SWG is often they’re not powerful enough to deliver that high of chlorine level. If however you start with a high dose and use the SWG to help maintain you’ll be fine. As Marty said, it all starts with test results to see what your options are.

You may also find some tips in this article,

You need to get on that opening. My pool water in Augusta is already 72 degrees, and we try to advise folks to open before the water is 60 degrees. This way any tweaking needed to your water can be done before it warms up so much that algae wakes up.

Look in the back of Walmart for liquid chlorine in the pool section. Folks looking for bleach often don't think to look there.

Maddie :flower:

I found plenty of 12.5% “ liquid pool shock” at Menards, $3.87Gal! Plenty to boost until I start my SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.