Opening pool, adding stabilizer

ActivFam

Jun 30, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
Started TFP method last July so this is my first opening with TFP. In the past, at opening I superchlorinated using Granular 56 (which has stabilizer in it) you know what happened come late June as I kept chlorinating pool with that...out of control CYA levels!
1. This year, do I dare superchlorinate pool with Granular 56 (see pix) just because it has stabilizer already in it and then use regular bleach to maintain FC levels, or do I buy a separate stabilizer powder (using sock method) and use bleach to SLAM?
2. what do I do first, slam with bleach and then add stabilizer or other way around.
3. Lastly, I have a liquid monosodium, cyanurate monohydrate stabilizer to use that is about 7 years old, could I use or just throw away? (see pix)IMG_4728.JPGIMG_4729.JPG

First test the water chemistry and post up the results. Only add what the pool needs.

Diclor is nearly half cya, save it for boosting your cya when you only need 10 ppm, basically use it one every other month. Keep it dry it will keep. Or sell it on Craigslist. Use granular cya to boost your levels at opening as you don't want a lot of FC if your cya is low or 0.

If the liquid gold is still liquid, smoke em if you got em.

When I opened my pool yesterday, FC was zero, and CYA was 20. Since I needed both, I added a pound of dichlor (Leslie's Chlor-Brite in my case). Now FC is 6.0 and CYA is 30, so that's probably all the dichlor I'll use this year. :) It's good when you need to add both FC and CYA, and pretty useless otherwise. That said, having some on hand (from before I saw the light) means I'll likely never need to add pure CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.