Opening our new to us pool for the first time! Unveil the swamp!

Okay, Heading into our first OCLT! Whee!!!

tested and added chlorine at 7:50pm.
tested again at 8:45pm for the base OCLT reading - 13, which is overshoot, so we shall see.

Fingers crossed! We'll see what the morning brings!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm waiting for the FC to fall a bit more before I try a pH test and let the kids in. FC is currently at 10, I have the spillover from the spa running.

I tried retesting CYA, and it looks like its mostly gone at 20, but definitely visible at 30. Any suggestions on how I should proceed regarding the CYA? We need to clean the filters again today, so I'm thinking we'll take a swim later, and the clean the filters, and any CYA additions will be after the filter is cleaned. Do I just need to wait out what I've added up to this point, for a few more days to see if the CYA creeps up? or Do I go ahead and add half of the pool math recommended CYA (1lb 8 oz by weight), after I've cleaned the filters?

Related to that - I haven't used the CYA standardized solution. Is it reusable? Can I compare with it, and pour it back in the bottle to reuse at a later date?

And then follow up to that - should I am for higher than 30?

CYA 50 is very reusable. It does not "go bad" so keep in to "reteach" your eyes as needed.

If all of your first CYA addition is dissolved and mixed in you should have all you are going to get. I would only add to 30 CYA for where you are. I am guessing you have to drain in the winter?

Did the kids have fun!

Kim:cat:

We did enjoy the pool yesterday!

Untitled by Carrie, on Flickr

So now I think I need to work on my next steps.

We have the pump set to run for 4 hrs - 5:30 - 9:30 am

7:30 am

FC - 3
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 50
CH - 175
CYA - 20

PoolMath says I need to bring up TA, CH, CYA. Is there any one I should focus on first? can I do them all simultaneously?

I'm assuming we do need to drain the water down some in the winter, but honestly I have no idea on that yet. I suspect that they did drain below the returns and some of the steps, since those were all plugged.

CYA and CH=first please. They can be done at the same time.

We will wait on the TA so we can see what your PH does when every thing else is balanced. TA is always last.

With your CYA-put it in a sock, like you wear, and hand it in front of a return or put it in the skimmer basket making sure to know block the water flow. You can spend it up by squeezing the sock.

When you put the CYA in the sock, in the water act as if you goal CYA has been reached when you put your info in Pool Math.

-once the CYA is all dissolved and mixed in good it should show up on the test the next day or so.

OH and we have a whole section on opening and closing pools! We got you covered!

Kim:cat:

Yea, I would raise the CYA. I keep mine at 30 and the way the weather has been swinging, my pool is begging for either a 40 CYA or way more chlorine than it usually needs. Weird summer.

I like the idea of keeping your CH low for a little while. Maybe some of the calcium deposits on the walls will start to break down????

I am having SO much fun watching this thread. And I really love, love, love that pool.

16,600 gallon, freeform, gunite and plaster pool/spa combo. Hayward SP3207EE pump, S310T sand filter, Century 1081 boost pump and Aqualogic panel.

Added the cya today, only 1.75 lbs instead of the pooath recommended 2.25. I really don't want to over shoot this!
Thw calcium I'll have to tack down. I have a sick kiddo today, so no pool time for us, and no supply shopping. :/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.