Opening our new to us pool for the first time! Unveil the swamp!

A couple of observations about your equipment. It looks like you have a Nature2 mineral cartridge system, do not waste your money buying new cartridges for it. They will only add metals to your water which you do not want. You also have a inline tab feeder, which can be helpful if you go on vacation. Other than that do not place tabs in there unless you fully understand what they will do to your water balance.

It looked like there were a lot of plugs on the steps, I can only guess that they are bubblers but would need someone who actually has them to chime in. As for the plugged hole under the skimmer it is possible that it is for a suction or pressure side cleaner.

That gray thing is the nature2, right? It doesn't have anything in it, and bass reading here, we are not planning to use the nature2 or the inline feeders, except as you say - for vacation. I think the things on the steps are parody the In floor cleaning system. Could he plug under the skiers till be for auction side cleaning, even with an I floor system?

Results are in!

Disclaimer: My tft-100 is one one of the kits that doesn't have the proper tips for drops. Doing my best with what I have.

FC 1 ? I think maybe it barely turned pink? I've added bleach until I got the test kit.
CC 1
CH 200 - this I was especially not sure of, because the drops were uneven.
TA 40
CYA 0? the dot never went away, and barely got a little lighter by when the view tube was filled.
pH - between 7.0 and 7.2 I think

I need to do a SLAM, but with numbers like this, what should I do before chlorine?

It's really hard for me to believe the CYA is 0 - the system as built used tablets, but the whole pool has been winterized since fall of 2013.

Also, my husband is really itching to use up the 2 1 lb bags calcium hypochlorite we have from leslie's from a different project last year. Yes? No?

Okay, input into poolmath, I've read so many threads, and though I had this but now that it's MY pool and MY numbers I'm feeling like I'm going to miss something.

If I did poolmath right, and I'm targeting CYA at 30, then I need to add 6.75 lbs of stablizer. Targeting FC at 12 for a SLAM, and first dose should be 2 gal, 2 qt, 1 cup of my 12.5% chlorine.

My reading says - add stablizers in to socks, throw filled socks in skimmers and/or in front of returns.

I can start adding chlorine at the same time, right?

Good. I get 2G, 2Q, 0C for 12.5%.

I got the same on CYA. Instead of using the weight for CYA, I like using the volume measurement (to the right of weight). The reason is because I have volume measuring cups and don't have a kitchen weight scale.

Yes, the same time is fine. Did you recheck pH? If not, I would do that quickly first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stabilizer won't be home until probably dark (along with the delivery guy;) ) so I will likely wait until tomorrow to do the stabilizer part. I'll be home alllll day tomorrow so I can really watch the happenings once I start SLAMming! Meanwhile I've been taking up gunk and brushing the goo.

Yep, got the leaf rake. I also got the flatter looking skimmer, but I prefer the leaf rake. I found a spot that must not get a lot of circulation, because I'm consistently pulling up the most gunk from that corner.

This is kinda fun. My husband accused me of being a wanna=be chemist. I did enjoy chemistry in school... Yeah. It is fun. I was jumping up and down the day I convinced my other half that we needed to be working on this now. We're trying to get it ready to have a bunch of church members over for our summer event. He's working on the fence, I'm working on the pool, except for some of the mechanical/plumbing work, with which he has more knowledge/experience. The kids are itching to help, but we are using this opportunity to teach them to pool rules - no playing in the water unless an adult is there an approves, no running on the pool deck, no biking on the pool deck...

Team effort! :)

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside - My husband work with municipal waterworks - One of the cities he works with gave him some liquid chlorine earlier this year, just cause? It's in unlabeled bottles, but it's the strong stuff that cities use in chlorinating water systems. No idea what the concentration is. Internet suggests that 12-16% is what is used in water treatment.

Could we use it? We've got maybe a quart of it total.

Got the stabilizer in, and first dose of chlorine in by 8 am. Used the chlorine of questionable strength, brushed, and tested again at 9:!5. FC at 5, but drops are off due to the wrong tip (and my wobbly squeeze), but close enough. Kids are loving watching the color change! Added another 1.5 gal of 12.5% per poolmath. It's supposed to be storming today, but I'll try to keep up! I started this morning off with 8 gallons of chlorine, which I'm feeling will be insufficient. I've asked the other half to bring home another 4 gallons this afternoon, but maybe I should ask for more....

I'm excited! I hope the weather doesn't put me off too much! Off to drink my coffee, and then test again.

- - - Updated - - -

This morning, before adding my chemicals. Cloudy blue-ish green.

Untitled by Carrie, on Flickr

Included the steps for a reference point. There's a 4th step and the floor that can't really be seen here.

Untitled by Carrie, on Flickr

It's your time and your reagents. Didn't read the whole thread, are you using a 5ml pool sample? If you are testing that frequently with that FC, use a 5ml water sample, same scoop of powder and then each drop is 1.0.

edit for clarity: Once an hour is pretty frequent. Certainly no more than that. Every 2 hours is fine.

Thanks for the tip on half the sample. That will be helpful! Every 2 hours is definitely more do-able. I'm running back and forth between testing, adding, brushing, and dealing with the littles and their 2 friends who are over for the day!

- - - Updated - - -

I will say, this brushing business is going to improve my arm and shoulder strength. I feel it already. Ouch! I got a sweepease brush, and I'm liking it. Sticks the to floor pretty good, and when I get the right angle on the wall, stays pretty well there, too. definitely has some resistant to pushing the brush. Not so much in keeping it on the floor, but in moving it across the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.