Opening Numbers

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
I opened yesterday and had some algae so I put in some chlorine and today the pool looks a lot better. Will probably do a SLAM this week. My initial numbers are listed below. I think today I'll focus on getting the stabilizer up and throwing in a bag or two of salt. That's enough for a Sunday.

FC 6.5 (This is after adding chlorine once I opened. At opening, FC was zero.)
pH 7.2
TA 50
CH 125
CYA 20 (I'm guessing. I filled the tube and could still CLEARLY see the dot.)
Salt 2400

Off to the pool store for stabilizer.

Last edited:
Strange that u had any algae w/ that amount of fc still present- perhaps it was just lower fc in that area due to lack of circulation 🤷‍♀️ This is making me want to take my cover off & inspect today ….

Strange that u had any algae w/ that amount of fc still present- perhaps it was just lower fc in that area due to lack of circulation 🤷‍♀️ This is making me want to take my cover off & inspect today ….
No. I didn't have any measurable chlorine when I opened. The 6.5 comes from me adding chlorine after I opened the cover and saw all the algae. I added two gallons of 12.5% and started my SWG. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I added a bag of salt. Now on to the CYA. I don't remember it being so expensive. $32 for 4 pounds. I went to Leslie's (not my normal store). Is there cheaper alternatives, or, is it just a typical price?

It's $40 for 7 lbs at Inyo Pools. That's almost twice as much CYA for roughly the same price.
Well, their 8lb bag was $54, so that got the cost per pound a little more reasonable, but I found the Clorox brand at Walmart that Mdragger88 referred to. I’m probably going to need about 6 pounds according to pool math so I’ll get that next time. I just need to check the ingredients to make sure it doesn’t have any unwanted additive. I’m guessing not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's a shame what has happened to the cost of pool products in the past several months. We all feel your pain. :brickwall:
Yeah, I’m not surprised. Since I closed for the winter, I did not have the pleasure of experiencing the price hikes in real time. Oh well. It is not good, but it’s still pretty reasonable entertainment considering it’s not only used by me and DW but by my daughter and the grandkids.

Reactions: Newdude
Well, their 8lb bag was $54, so that got the cost per pound a little more reasonable, but I found the Clorox brand at Walmart that Mdragger88 referred to. I’m probably going to need about 6 pounds according to pool math so I’ll get that next time. I just need to check the ingredients to make sure it doesn’t have any unwanted additive. I’m guessing not.
It is 100% cya - it’s my go to especially since I can have it at my door in a couple days if I can wait or I can just run to the local Walmart- its our nearest store besides dollar general anyway. It was $12 forever & used to come in great plastic jugs then they switched to bags to save cost I’m sure but the price stayed the same - now $20! 💸

Reactions: pb4uswim
The CYA is going pretty good. I have about two pounds down now. I put it in one of the hair nets that I use for a skimmer sock and tie it up and put it in the skimmer. It dissolves about a pound a day that way. I’ll check my CYA after I get the four pounds in. Pool Math shows that will add 30 to my CYA. Given that I don’t think I have any, that should put me in good shape for a SLAM. Weather is too cold to swim for at least a week, so thankfully, I have plenty of time.

Last edited:
Updated numbers:

FC 6.0
pH 7.0
TA 50
CH 125
CYA 40
Salt 2800

Not sure why my pH is dropping. CYA is coming along nicely. I did add a bag of salt. FC - The SWG is set at 50% so it seems to be generating enough chlorine for now. Water looks clear. It's still pretty cold here so no hurry, but I think my next step is to do an OCLT. I'm not sure I'll need to SLAM. Even though there was algae at opening, I haven't seen any since. I'll leave the CYA at 40 for now in case I do need to SLAM and bring it up to recommended levels once I get things balanced better. Appreciate the help and in put.

Reactions: Newdude
Your plan sounds good. Yeah, watch the pH. If you have to SLAM it will rise (temporarily) from the elevated FC anyways. But if the pH sticks there or falls, you might increase the TA to about 70 - 80. You can also incorporate some aeration to help the pH rise a little.

Reactions: pb4uswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.