Opening my pool and want to do it real nice this time

Why am I different than many other people who do the same thing I suppose?
You aren't that different as there are 340K members on TFP who have come here in one fashion or another to resolve problems and learn. It just takes willingness to learn and let go of what you thought was correct.

Tf-100, TPF Pro, K2006 all work. You get more reagents in the TF one, but I've been using the K2006 since 2008 and have just been buying refills for reagent from TFTestKits.com since. I added a Stirrer in maybe 2011. In 2008, when we first built our pool, I wasn't completely convinced about this method so I thought I'd start with the fewer dollars out of pocket. That way if these ppl were blowing smoke I wouldn't be out as much. Turned out I started with this method and never looked back.

I got by with swirling by hand for years - the speed stir is very nice to have but it’s not an absolute necessity so you can always get one later separately.
The taylor k2006 is a few $ cheaper than the tf100 & contains less of certain reagents.
The tf100 is actually more comparable to the much more expensive taylor k2006(c) (c stands for commercial) so it is generally the best value-
but all of them will get you where you need to go.
As mentioned they all do the same exact tests - they just have different amounts of reagents yielding more of some tests. You can always purchase more reagents as you go.
I have a tf100 that I purchased 7 or 8 years ago. It has served me well.
I just purchase refills as needed. I test fc nearly every day when my pool is open- it takes 2 minutes. The other tests I do weekly, some are every couple of weeks.
Every spring tftestkits.net offers full kit refills for both Taylor & tf kits at a discounted price and its a great time to restock for the upcoming season.
Hey and thank you again-Nate replied to me by e-mail since I e-mailed them asking these questions he recommended the tfpro- because of the stirrer-- he said that everyone that purchased it because of the stirrer absolutely is much happier and it takes less time to test? Your thoughts again- since of course you are NT the owner _LOL- what do you think? Because the price is almost 2x as much? I guess what I am asking the user is - how much extra work goes into doing it your way.

Tf-100, TPF Pro, K2006 all work. You get more reagents in the TF one, but I've been using the K2006 since 2008 and have just been buying refills for reagent from TFTestKits.com since. I added a Stirrer in maybe 2011. In 2008, when we first built our pool, I wasn't completely convinced about this method so I thought I'd start with the fewer dollars out of pocket. That way if these ppl were blowing smoke I wouldn't be out as much. Turned out I started with this method and never looked back.
thank you-- I will probably purchase the tf100- to save a little - and then buy a stirrer down the road as well-- BUT I am opening my pool today or tomorrow - and need to add that GREENOUT just this once to get it up and running. I hope that you think I am ok with it -the season is just begun.

Your way doesn't work well, neither is it economical, or you wouldn't be out searching for answers.

You can't tell us the first thing about water chemistry or sanitization so that means you've been lucky to date. It happens, it does. But that doesn't make it ok, or a good plan going forward.

Mixing and matching is the worst thing you can do, so you have to choose a path and follow it completely.
Thank you- I am just scared I guess and unknowledgeable-- and afraid of new things? I will as someone else said purchase the tf100- to begin with, and then buy the stirrer down the road once I become more comfortable. But my immediate question is-- I am opening the pool today-- I am filling the pool up to the skimmer - ad ten have to add in shock-(My GREENOUT product as I always have and let the filter run for the next 24-36 hours-. I know what you are going to say- BUT can I get this started and fix things later like when your test kit comes? This is OK- I hope- not terrible- I just need to open it this weekend and get the water sanitized for NOW..?

That all sounds like a great plan with regard to the test kit, everyone loves the smart stir - I couldn't imagine pool life without it, but ok to hold off on getting that.

Hold off on using the Greenout. No idea what what that is and it could be putting something harmful in your pool. Can you take a picture of the label and post it up here?

I am just scared I guess and unknowledgeable-- and afraid of new things?
Trust me. We all were. We never forgot how bad it sucked and that's why most of us are still here, to make it suck less for others.

We have a science based program that only adds what the pool needs. Not only does it work, it's as inexpensive as possible
BUT can I get this started and fix things later like when your test kit comes?
It is your pool and you may do whatever you wish to it. :)

Here's how we do it
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels

It's going to be a bit of a learning curve, but we'll ride with you the whole way.

Reactions: RLP
That all sounds like a great plan with regard to the test kit, everyone loves the smart stir - I couldn't imagine pool life without it, but ok to hold off on getting that.

Hold off on using the Greenout. No idea what what that is and it could be putting something harmful in your pool. Can you take a picture of the label and post it up here
Hello sir-- I have tried but it says the file is too large-- if you would - can you search Google- and type in Greenout shock --images and you will see the item and also the other product- called Power shock-just type that in google images and see its label.. I will wait to hear from you..As mentioned it is a shock that is sold every day in a local pool supply store called Island Recreational. it is sold by the package or by the case and everyone uses it around here. It says on the label as follows-made by Blue Seal- Green Out- shock treatment and super chlorinator. Designed to be used in pools as a periodic shock treatment in regular maintenance and in:1.Pools with green water due to algae
2)Pools with visible algae on the floor and sides
3)Pools starting up using water from previous seasons------ THIS IS ME!!
Active ingredient is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate-64% and akly(95% C14,3%C12and 2% C16)-dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride-1% Inert ingredients- 35% Available chlorine -35%
In the instructions- it says for use as a disinfectant and algae control in pool water. For treatment of freshly treated pools or for super chlorination of water free of visible algae. Add 2-4 ounces of GREENOUT per 1,000 gallons of pool water by sprinkling it over a wide area of pool water surface. After this treatment bathers should not swim until residual chlorine falls to 2 PPM or less. For subsequent uses add 5 ounces of GREENOUTper 10,000 gallons of water(that is my size pool) OR as needed to maintain a chlorine residual of 1.0-1.5PPM. It also says to add chlorine stabilizer to freshly filled pools OR if the CYA content in the pool is less than 35 PPM. maintain the pH in the range of 7.2-7.6 with the addition of pH. Increase the pH if the level is below 7.2 and decrease it if the pH is above 7.6

The other product is called POWEER SHOCK also made by BLUE Seal--the title on the bag says- Pool water Shock Treatment and for superchlorinating Pool water and control of algae.-- The active ingredients- is Calcium Hypochlorite 68% and other ingredients 32% Total available chlorine is 65%( This is much higher than the Greenout which as stated above has only 35% available chlorine content?'The instructions say as the follows-This product should be used at spring start up-once a week OR as necessary to eliminate discomforting irritation due to formed chloramines in the pool and to control algae. Prior to using this product adjust the pH of the pool water using advanced solutions of Decreaser or pH Increaser as necessary---?? My question-- on all other pool opening sites the first thing they recommend is to SHOCK a pool at OPENING- NOT to adjust pH--- seems kind of backward to me at this point--maybe I will NOT use this product this time-- only use the GREENOUT to SHOCK first and then check pH and adjust accordingly-- what do you think????
It also says to maintain the pH in the range of 7.2-7.6 BUT it says to only add 1-2 ounces of THIS product per 1,000 gallons of pool water to yield a residual of 5-10 PPM --- "THIS is so much different than the GREENOUT above-- with Greenout it said to maintain a residual chlorine level of 1.0- 5.0 PPM whereas this product says to maintain a residual of 5.0-10.0 PPM?? that is a huge difference-"- can you tell me why?-- this is getting me a bit nervous that the numbers are so much different--
After reading what I have sent you- which of these 2 products would you use for the time being right now(not in the future)- AND what brand and name of SHOCK would you use regularly in "my future" for my pool? - And would you recommend a powdered shock like these or a liquid chlorine- and can you tell me the name and brand? Thanks for everything.

Trust me. We all were. We never forgot how bad it sucked and that's why most of us are still here, to make it suck less for others.

We have a science based program that only adds what the pool needs. Not only does it work, it's as inexpensive as possible

It is your pool and you may do whatever you wish to it. :)

Here's how we do it
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels

It's going to be a bit of a learning curve, but we'll ride with you the whole way.
thank you- after I open the poo:rolleyes:l- I will be back- annoying everyone- I guess :)

Reactions: Newdude
which of these 2 products would you use for the time being right now(not in the future)- AND what brand and name of SHOCK would you use regularly in "my future" for my pool?
Neither lol but that is me & probably others. I use 12.5% liquid chlorine and it works all the time every timeIMG_2096.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just had to reply because I was in your exact shoes twelve years ago. I have to address your anxiety and exhaustion. Everyone else is replying to your detailed procedure and chemical needs so you are in really good hands with them on that front. Please let me speak to your exhaustion and confusion.

The reason there is so much conflicting information is because just like pharmaceuticals, the pool chemical industry is political since it has billions of dollars on the line so they need to combat any information sharing or procedures that hurt their profits, and gladly lie to do so. Just like with prescription medicine, they have to find a way to convince you that using their product is the easiest and safest. If something medical can easily be cured by say, drinking 10 glasses of water a day, or not eating any sugar, well there is no money to be made in that truth. Only a loss for the sugar industry. They have to lie and make you believe that your natural ways can’t cure you, or their products wont hurt you long term, and they have the data to prove this. It’s a lie, they don’t. In the same way, bleach can cure and protect from almost all pool ailments, sometimes borax or muratic acid is needed too. But thats it. These items are inexpensive and profits from their sales don’t get anywhere near the profits of all the other unnecessary chemicals sold at a premium. Bleach, Borax, Baking soda, and Muratic Acid work so well that there is never any reason to buy anything else. Ever. They know this too, but that hurts profits. First rule in sales is to convince people they can’t live without something that they don’t need!! The pool and pool chemical industry needs repeat business so they have to devise ways for you to keep coming back and needing more. That’s one reason the high quality test kits aren’t sold there. They dont want you understanding and knowing the truth. They want you to believe it’s so complex that you need to leave it to them. They have marketing teams working full time figuring out ways to discredit what BBB pool owners know. The wiser and smarter a group like ours becomes the more deceiving and undermining they have to become. Every year the conflict of info out there multiplies because of this. If you exhaust people enough with conflicting information they eventually give up and just trust others (the “experts”) to do the thinking for them and keep it easy. But they will eventually end up in really bad shape because of this while those experts profit hugely and our pocket books become a nonstop faucet.

Most experts these days are compromised and have financial conflicts of interest influencing the guidance they give to others. Pay close attention to what a site has to gain and to lose. It is easy for companies to lie or mislead us, to twist the truths, and then to flood the airways with doubts and conflict. While many people can be lucky and escape the negative impact from believing others are indeed experts or trustworthy, most do not and - their misleading of the public will eventually catch up to you.

I’ve been everywhere else and I am certain this is the best place to be if you want to do something right with a swimming pool.

You have a precious grandchild swimming in your pool so I commend you for the desire to do it right. Some pool water problems that can hurt their ears are not visible. A sparkling clear pool can cause havoc on a young child’s eyes, ears and skin - as it did my own pre-BBB.

Your water may have been clear all this time, as was mine before BBB, but don’t fool yourself - it’s at a steep cost in both time and money, and you would see this if you added up every cent and every minute ever spent on anything for the pool and it’s water. Everything you buy to control and combat what each marketable pool chemical does adds up. The cost of a quality test kit is a drop in the bucket compared to all the things you have always paid for. You can’t see the savings in BBB yet so I understand your concern over the cost of the kit. Let me be frank: no, it is not an unecessary, frivolous, or luxurious expense. It is the one single primary expense that enabled us to save the $25,000+ we saved over the last 12 years and provide a healthy safe pool for my kids to swim in.

Twelve years ago we had a yearly expenditure of $2400 or more per year for opening, closing, and chemical balancing using a pool company, their expert advice, and pool stores. I had four years experience with my own pool using shocks, clarifiers, algecides, Phos-free sparklers, conditioners, chlorinaters, etc etc. Results? My water was clear yes, but delicate, meaning it wouldn’t take much to knock it out of whack. You could say it was a whack-a-mole game to maintain it. Sure the solution to each new problem was an easy additive of some new chemical, or combo, but it cost more money. I thought it was easy, but in reality looking back it was anything but. I had to stay on top of our water every single day for the entire swimming season and still had problems. Since starting BBB, we spend one day a week doing maintenance activities, sometimes less. I never worry and I never have any problems. Zilch. Our pool opened this year crystal clear and was almost fully balanced without adding anything. You want easy? KISS? Well BBB is the king of KISS. Learning how and why is not easy or overnight and cant be explained in a single reply, but it is worth every minute you spend reading. Way more than any other site or company. You found a site that tells the truth, has expert chemists on board that help clear confusion, and thousands of people like me who went from point A to point BBB and have first hand witness to share. There is no conflict of interest here, but it does require investing some time. Your grandchildren’s health and well-being depend on you doing so if youre going to own a pool.

I too was exhausted with reading all the available info sites abd talking to pool experts at stores and calling the manufacturers. By the time I found this site I was literally in tears with confusion and having a nervous breakdown. Another BBB site actually was rude to me because of my anxious condition. THIS site however treated me with dignity, understanding, and respect. They gave me boatloads of patience and understanding, and I reciprocated. I spent two grueling months in what seemed like a crash chemistry course. I made a binder! :ROFLMAO: It took that long for our particular circumstances to convert to BBB. You’re starting from a better place than I did, so it will be easier, because I was starting right after the pool company opened our pool and it was a green slushy swamp, like every year before. I had major ammonia build up. Sure I could have done the 3-week-long effort and treatments to get it to sparkling, but every year that cost me $600-800 in the chemicals alone. So starting with their out of whack water made it much harder to believe and trust what I learned here. But man did my time pay off! We spend less than $300 a year opening, closing, and balancing our water now. It’s easier. Our water has never once gotten algae or any other negative condition. Only one year out of the twelve did we have a cloudy water issue, but it was easily dealt with in a single day. We spend more time enjoying the view than trying to protect it. And we saved over $25,000 so far. That’s just one customer. See the money at stake for the pool chemical companies?

I encourage you to find the time this summer to read through Pool School and learn all you can. I’ve not seen any site have so little conflict of interest and so much accuracy and truth. Most of us have been in your shoes and we hear our past selves in your posts. So I’m sending a big warm hug to welcome you to the best place to learn how to really care for your pool, and to help you know you are not alone.

The only thing you should add to the pool until your kit comes in & you know where you stand is 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day.
Pour it slowly in front of a running return jet away from the liner. Brush the area.
Use
PoolMath to calculate amounts.
Thats it!
Please don’t waste your $ on that other stuff.
Feel free to vac & scoop while you wait.

The only thing you should add to the pool until your kit comes in & you know where you stand is 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day.
Pour it slowly in front of a running return jet away from the liner. Brush the area.
Use
PoolMath to calculate amounts.
Thats it!
Please don’t waste your $ on that other stuff.
Feel free to vac & scoop while you wait.
I am going out tomorrow to buy liquid chlorine- but me being stupid- what is 5 ppm of chlorine in liquid amounts- how much is that for a 10000-gallon pool- is it like a quart- or some other measurement? (before looking at Pool math- just a guess?

I am going out tomorrow to buy liquid chlorine- but me being stupid- what is 5 ppm of chlorine in liquid amounts- how much is that for a 10000-gallon pool- is it like a quart- or some other measurement? (before looking at Pool math- just a guess?
IMG_6371.png

I just had to reply because I was in your exact shoes twelve years ago. I have to address your anxiety and exhaustion. Everyone else is replying to your detailed procedure and chemical needs so you are in really good hands with them on that front. Please let me speak to your exhaustion and confusion.

The reason there is so much conflicting information is because just like pharmaceuticals, the pool chemical industry is political since it has billions of dollars on the line so they need to combat any information sharing or procedures that hurt their profits, and gladly lie to do so. Just like with prescription medicine, they have to find a way to convince you that using their product is the easiest and safest. If something medical can easily be cured by say, drinking 10 glasses of water a day, or not eating any sugar, well there is no money to be made in that truth. Only a loss for the sugar industry. They have to lie and make you believe that your natural ways can’t cure you, or their products wont hurt you long term, and they have the data to prove this. It’s a lie, they don’t. In the same way, bleach can cure and protect from almost all pool ailments, sometimes borax or muratic acid is needed too. But thats it. These items are inexpensive and profits from their sales don’t get anywhere near the profits of all the other unnecessary chemicals sold at a premium. Bleach, Borax, Baking soda, and Muratic Acid work so well that there is never any reason to buy anything else. Ever. They know this too, but that hurts profits. First rule in sales is to convince people they can’t live without something that they don’t need!! The pool and pool chemical industry needs repeat business so they have to devise ways for you to keep coming back and needing more. That’s one reason the high quality test kits aren’t sold there. They dont want you understanding and knowing the truth. They want you to believe it’s so complex that you need to leave it to them. They have marketing teams working full time figuring out ways to discredit what BBB pool owners know. The wiser and smarter a group like ours becomes the more deceiving and undermining they have to become. Every year the conflict of info out there multiplies because of this. If you exhaust people enough with conflicting information they eventually give up and just trust others (the “experts”) to do the thinking for them and keep it easy. But they will eventually end up in really bad shape because of this while those experts profit hugely and our pocket books become a nonstop faucet.

Most experts these days are compromised and have financial conflicts of interest influencing the guidance they give to others. Pay close attention to what a site has to gain and to lose. It is easy for companies to lie or mislead us, to twist the truths, and then to flood the airways with doubts and conflict. While many people can be lucky and escape the negative impact from believing others are indeed experts or trustworthy, most do not and - their misleading of the public will eventually catch up to you.

I’ve been everywhere else and I am certain this is the best place to be if you want to do something right with a swimming pool.

You have a precious grandchild swimming in your pool so I commend you for the desire to do it right. Some pool water problems that can hurt their ears are not visible. A sparkling clear pool can cause havoc on a young child’s eyes, ears and skin - as it did my own pre-BBB.

Your water may have been clear all this time, as was mine before BBB, but don’t fool yourself - it’s at a steep cost in both time and money, and you would see this if you added up every cent and every minute ever spent on anything for the pool and it’s water. Everything you buy to control and combat what each marketable pool chemical does adds up. The cost of a quality test kit is a drop in the bucket compared to all the things you have always paid for. You can’t see the savings in BBB yet so I understand your concern over the cost of the kit. Let me be frank: no, it is not an unecessary, frivolous, or luxurious expense. It is the one single primary expense that enabled us to save the $25,000+ we saved over the last 12 years and provide a healthy safe pool for my kids to swim in.

Twelve years ago we had a yearly expenditure of $2400 or more per year for opening, closing, and chemical balancing using a pool company, their expert advice, and pool stores. I had four years experience with my own pool using shocks, clarifiers, algecides, Phos-free sparklers, conditioners, chlorinaters, etc etc. Results? My water was clear yes, but delicate, meaning it wouldn’t take much to knock it out of whack. You could say it was a whack-a-mole game to maintain it. Sure the solution to each new problem was an easy additive of some new chemical, or combo, but it cost more money. I thought it was easy, but in reality looking back it was anything but. I had to stay on top of our water every single day for the entire swimming season and still had problems. Since starting BBB, we spend one day a week doing maintenance activities, sometimes less. I never worry and I never have any problems. Zilch. Our pool opened this year crystal clear and was almost fully balanced without adding anything. You want easy? KISS? Well BBB is the king of KISS. Learning how and why is not easy or overnight and cant be explained in a single reply, but it is worth every minute you spend reading. Way more than any other site or company. You found a site that tells the truth, has expert chemists on board that help clear confusion, and thousands of people like me who went from point A to point BBB and have first hand witness to share. There is no conflict of interest here, but it does require investing some time. Your grandchildren’s health and well-being depend on you doing so if youre going to own a pool.

I too was exhausted with reading all the available info sites abd talking to pool experts at stores and calling the manufacturers. By the time I found this site I was literally in tears with confusion and having a nervous breakdown. Another BBB site actually was rude to me because of my anxious condition. THIS site however treated me with dignity, understanding, and respect. They gave me boatloads of patience and understanding, and I reciprocated. I spent two grueling months in what seemed like a crash chemistry course. I made a binder! :ROFLMAO: It took that long for our particular circumstances to convert to BBB. You’re starting from a better place than I did, so it will be easier, because I was starting right after the pool company opened our pool and it was a green slushy swamp, like every year before. I had major ammonia build up. Sure I could have done the 3-week-long effort and treatments to get it to sparkling, but every year that cost me $600-800 in the chemicals alone. So starting with their out of whack water made it much harder to believe and trust what I learned here. But man did my time pay off! We spend less than $300 a year opening, closing, and balancing our water now. It’s easier. Our water has never once gotten algae or any other negative condition. Only one year out of the twelve did we have a cloudy water issue, but it was easily dealt with in a single day. We spend more time enjoying the view than trying to protect it. And we saved over $25,000 so far. That’s just one customer. See the money at stake for the pool chemical companies?

I encourage you to find the time this summer to read through Pool School and learn all you can. I’ve not seen any site have so little conflict of interest and so much accuracy and truth. Most of us have been in your shoes and we hear our past selves in your posts. So I’m sending a big warm hug to welcome you to the best place to learn how to really care for your pool, and to help you know you are not alone.
Wow and thank you- for being so kind-- but what is the difference between Borax and baking soda and is muriatic acid dangerous to handle?- I used to have that for removing concrete from bricks-- that scares me- even in small amounts..And how can I learn about when I would need these items and what it corrects? Also, what is BBB- ?LOL?

that was so fast-- so if I add 64 ounces upon opening the pool that should be Ok to start and keep adding that every day until i reach the proper amount of PPM of FC?
No, add 64 ounces every day until your test kit arrives. This will stave off the growth of algae until your test kit arrives. When you get your kit, post your results and we will help you from there to clear the pool.

last question- what about using any algicide LIKE the GREENOUT product has? I am going to use NON stabilized tabs NOW and the liquid chlorine and see what happens to my CYA levels- since my in-store test levels were very high on CYA last year. But if my water turns green- what then?
you also say to add 5ppm (64 ounces each day- - do you really mean each day? or stop when the FC level is normal? and I will do this at night when I run the filter. (and if I do this at night can people swim in the pool later that next day?

last question- what about using any algicide LIKE the GREENOUT product has? I am going to use NON stabilized tabs NOW and the liquid chlorine and see what happens to my CYA levels- since my in-store test levels were very high on CYA last year. But if my water turns green- what then?

you also say to add 5ppm (64 ounces each day- - do you really mean each day? or stop when the FC level is normal? and I will do this at night when I run the filter. (and if I do this at night can people swim in the pool later that next day?
Chlorine needs to be added every day one way or another

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.