Opening and Converting to SWG

Jubenez

May 15, 2019
Indiana
Hello!
We have decided to simplify life this year by purchasing a robot cleaner and converting to salt. I'm planning to order the RJ60 from Discount Salt Pool.
I am thinking that we will install it before opening pool, open with normal SLAM method and get balanced and clear, then try to figure put what we are doing with the SWG since we are brand new to this. Is this the suggested route?
Any tips on installation and what I need to order and have on hand in addition to the RJ60?
We usually open late April or early May.
Also are there links for ordering equipment where this group would get credit or commission?
Thank you!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hello!
We have decided to simplify life this year by purchasing a robot cleaner and converting to salt. I'm planning to order the RJ60 from Discount Salt Pool.
I am thinking that we will install it before opening pool, open with normal SLAM method and get balanced and clear, then try to figure put what we are doing with the SWG since we are brand new to this. Is this the suggested route?
Any tips on installation and what I need to order and have on hand in addition to the RJ60?
We usually open late April or early May.
Also are there links for ordering equipment where this group would get credit or commission?
Thank you!
You should open the pool and get it stable before installing the SWG. The salt itself needs a day or so to dissolve and get at the right concentration. Or at least get the salt in now so when you open the pool it’ll be close.

Installing the plumbing portion of the RJ60 is the easiest part. You just cut out the section pipe where it goes, glue on the fittings, then tighten the fittings. Planning where to put the control box and wiring could be done before you even open the pool so that’s at your preference. I had a spare electrical like from our booster pump when I switched to a robot so I just used that line to power the SWG.

Good morning. My RJ install is linked in my signature. Mine was very simple because I leave my pump running 24/7 on low speed, so a separate SWG power source and timer were not needed. If you have your pump on a timer, be sure the SWG does not have power applied when the pump is off. The SWG flow switch is for back-up purposes only. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

For the swg you just get everything inline the same way since a salt pool is a chlorine pool. If a
SLAM Process is in order then do that first.
The two exceptions are salt & the higher recommended cya.
Be sure to test your salt level with the k1766 before adding any.
Be sure you pass all 3 end of slam criteria before raising cya.
Also, creep up on both levels by adding 3/4 of what poolmath calls for then testing 24 hrs later & going from there.
Leave your swg off while you’re adding/adjusting salt.
There’s no affiliated discounts with DSP but they are having their upgrade sale still - go to the rj45 page & click “add rj60 for $5 more”.
Also tftestkits.net is having their annual sale if you need new reagents or a new kit.

For the future, to prevent a swampy swamp - close late (after the water temp is around 60 degrees & falling)
& open early (before the water temp rises above 60 degrees)
Here’s the guides👇

I follow these guidelines (except I don’t use polyquat so I leave fc at slam level) & I open to crystal clear water that still has target levels of fc in early April
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Jubenez
Exactly what I did.

Reactions: Jubenez
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.