Opened Up My Pool On Last Friday - 4/13

Hey guys,

I opened up my pool last Friday. I am using the Taylor K-2006 test kit. The CYA levels were not measureable, so I partially drained it three times, and it is now reading about 40-45. I started implementing the SLAM process on Monday, but the pool is still green, but I have noticed improvement on the condition of the color of the pool. It was dark green to begin with, and now it is a light green. Here are my current measurements:

CYA: 40-45
FC: 4
pH: 7.4
CH - Not calculated

I am using 6% liquid chlorine bleach from Walmart, and I just added 4 gallons about an hour ago. I have a S-200 sand filter, and I realize that they are the least effective of the types of filters. I am backwashing for 5-10 minutes daily in the evening before adding chemicals. Anything else I need to do? Thanks for any help.

Yes. MAINTAIN the SLAM level FC for your CYA level as much as possible. Going down to 4 won't get you there quick. I didn't see any brushing mentioned either. Sounds like it's slowly progressing though. Good luck. Patience with the process.

Yes. MAINTAIN the SLAM level FC for your CYA level as much as possible. Going down to 4 won't get you there quick. I didn't see any brushing mentioned either. Sounds like it's slowly progressing though. Good luck. Patience with the process.

Ok, Thx. No I haven't brushed the sides, but I have cleaned out as much debris (pecan tree leaves) as I could get out. Should I brush the sides and bottom? Also, my eyeball fitting broke on the shallow end return jet (have a new set ordered that should be here tomorrow), and I use a Polaris 360 on the deep end jet, and obviously don't have it hooked up, so both outlets are running with no restriction. I am running about 6psi on my filter gauge, and circulation looks good. Would not having the eyeball jets installed hinder the filtration efficiency of my sand filter?

Just an FYI update on my pool situation:

CYA: ~35
FC: 6
pH: 7.4
TA - 100
CC - 0.2
CH - Not calculated

Pool water quality/condition is improving tremendously. It has gone from a "swamp", to an aqua color now. Still filtering 24/7, and have cleaned all debris out. Tomorrow I expect to see the bottom of the deep end, then I will vacuum the dead algae to waste, and maintain my FC level at around 3-4ppm. Thx for the advice/help guys. It is much appreciated!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.