Opened to a nice pond yesterday.

Mvd78

Nov 20, 2023
Chicago
Pools completely dark green. I've got the pool opened, discovered i have a crack in my autochlorinator so i can't filter or even circulate right now. I'm getting prepped to do a SLAM. Pool store lady told me to go ahead and drop 8 gallons of liquid chlorine in there just to get started. I tested the CYA using the Taylor k2006c, it's my first time using it but i'm pretty confident i did it correctly, i basically filled up that whole container before the dot disappeared, maybe a CYA of 35? Took it to the pool store, said CYA doesn't matter for liquid chlorine, which i pushed back pretty hard on but she assured me. Can i get a ruling here? I feel like i've read here the CYA should be between 30-40 before hitting it with the chlorine so it doesn't burn off in the sunlight, no?

Still fairly new and learning, any thoughts are appreciated. I do have my little robot dolphin in there getting some of the algae out and circulating the water.

I thought i'd toss on the solar cover to at least start getting the water warmer, any thoughts?

Raise CYA, add chlorine at night, let the dolphin stir it up, use solar cover to protect from sun?

Thanks in advance.

Follow the SLAM Process

Best to leave the solar cover off, especially during the day. That allows the UV to burn off an CC that is created when oxidizing the algae.

Reactions: Mvd78
ohmygosh!?! You walked in to a clueless pool store!! (actually, most are or at least say what's needed to make a sale).
YES, CYA matters for just about all pools!
If you've been using a chlorinator, luckily you probably lost a lot of cya over the winter months. Pucks of chlorine almost always contain CYA as a binder for the chlorine gas and it builds up in the pool till you notice it has contributed to a problem. Usually green :alien:
if you stay on it, and with good testing and water mixing of the liquid chlorine...it's may be doable, but gonna be more work to see improvement. You'll lose filtration which is such an important element of clearing up a pool.
Trying to do a SLAM while losing water is No Bueno. Ideally you'd cut that puck dispenser out and just use liquid chlorine, or a salt water chlorine generator (SWG).
Are you handy with PVC? It usually is a snap to remove them and glue in a piece of new PVC pipe.

Maddie 🇮🇹

Appreciate it. I was going to cut out the chlorinator until i realized it's probably easier just to replace it and not have to mess with cutting what could be brittle pvc and cause myself more problems. So, new one arrives May 8th and should be a breeze to swap out(famous last words). I won't be using the pucks for the SLAM but that outta fix my leak issue then i can start circulating the water.