Opened pool last night, very low FC and CYA levels.

Dave Ski

Oct 25, 2019
Lancaster (Buffalo), NY
I opened my pool late yesterday and ran the pump since then. I just tested my water using the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Not sure if my test results show in my profile so I'll list them below...

FC: 0.4
CC: 0.2
pH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 120...I refilled the pool yesterday about 20-30% and our tap water is typically hard.
CYA: 0

The water level is pretty clear but there are leaves that I need to vacuum up. I'll be doing that right after I post this. I bought a gallon of 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite liguid but have not added a thing to the pool just yet. I presume a SLAM is in my pools future? This is the first year I'm taking my pool chemistry in my own hands so I have never done the SLAM process. I watched the video and read some of the posts but I'm not sure if I need to slightly lower the pH before starting?

Also what is CYA stabilizer (liquid or dry)....or perhaps better question where do I find this and what is the product called on the shelf?

Thank you for your help!
Dave

Start with adding 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. (you can start with half a gallon of what you have, that is ~6 ppm).
Get CYA (aka stabilizer aka conditioner) at Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, pool stores, etc. Normally in 4 or 5# containers. One container will do. Start dissolving 3# (that is 33 ppm in your pool volume). Maintain your FC at target level using FC/CYA Levels

You will need more than one gallon of liquid chlorine. Once get the above worked out, let us know how the water looks and if the pool is holding FC overnight.

Reactions: Dave Ski
Start with adding 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. (you can start with half a gallon of what you have, that is ~6 ppm).
Get CYA (aka stabilizer aka conditioner) at Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, pool stores, etc. Normally in 4 or 5# containers. One container will do. Start dissolving 3# (that is 33 ppm in your pool volume). Maintain your FC at target level using FC/CYA Levels

You will need more than one gallon of liquid chlorine. Once get the above worked out, let us know how the water looks and if the pool is holding FC overnight.
Marty,
I added about 1/3 of the bottle of chlorine last night (estimated 40 oz). I finally was able to test FC & CC just now which are 2.0 FC and 0.4 CC. The pool has been covered up until now and we've had overcast skies. I didn't bother checking the CYA since I don't have any, nor obviously added any to the pool. Since my FC level is good, that's a good sign right? But with the sun coming out it will burn off the chlorine quickly until I get the CYA level up? I did a dip strip test and the TA and pH are very close to yesterday's pre-chlorine added test.

The filter has been running 24/7 and the water is mostly clear.

Thanks for the help,
Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.