Opened Pool - Cloudy Water

Hi All

Hoping that everyone is getting excited for another great pool season!

Historically I have never had cloudy water when opening my pool, however this year - no such below.

Here is the background...

I live in Michigan and my pool has been closed with a solid tarp all winter, two weeks ago my pool guy whom I only use for opening and closing called me and said with the random heat wave we were having, peal back a corner of the tarp and pour in 12 gallons of liquid chlorine.

Fast forward to yesterday, he opened the pool. When he removed the cover the water was crystal clear as it normally is. He continued to prime the pump and fold the cover.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught him throw what looked like two bags of shock in the pool.

Once he left and I started the refill the pool - as it was drained below the pipelines - the water started to get really cloudy.

I left the pump running over night.

This morning I could not see the bottom of the pool, so I decide to run my robotic pool clear, after a few cycles pool was only slighly better but it is still really cloudy, in the basket of the cleaner it was almost like a milk paste???

I've been running the cleaner and pump all day, and tested my water (test it myself) - below are the results:
FC: 9.2
pH: 7.1
TA: 126
CYA: 66

I know my TA is high, got to get some acid tomorrow - any other thoughts?

What test kit are you using?

Your TA is fine with a pH of 7.1. Leave it alone right now.

What is the source of your fill water?

What is your CH level?

What is the pH, TA, CH of your fill water?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.

What test kit are you using?

Your TA is fine with a pH of 7.1. Leave it alone right now.

What is the source of your fill water?

What is your CH level?

What is the pH, TA, CH of your fill water?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.
HI ajw22

I am very colorblind so I use the sensafe photometer - Pool eXact® EZ Photometer

I use city water to fill my pool, below are its readings:
TA: 77
pH: 6.6
CH: 0.96

I have no confidence in your test results from that test kit. I suggest you get the Lamotte Color Q which has some limitations that you can read about in Pool Test Kits - Further Reading

And you can get a pH meter with calibrating solutions like the Apera PH20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.