Opened pool 3 days ago. Everything great until today - black marks on bottom

I think I'm still oxidizing things, since the Cl dropped overnight, and dropped from 5 to 4 from 3 hours ago. Should I shock to something like 8 or 10 and see what happens to the black areas?

Should I shock to something like 8 or 10 and see what happens to the black areas?
That what I would suggest but I encourage you to get CYA (30 ppm) in the pool first

Chlorine can be quite aggressive without CYA .

So, CYA to 30 ppm and FC up to about 10. Then keep it about 10 ppm for at least 2-3 days to see if that works.

YOu are basically SLAMming the pool but in a simpler way. Let us know the results.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Here's what happened yesterday - I poured a gallon of liquid chlorine into the deep end. It traveled down to the bottom and the black areas instantly disappeared. After about 10 minutes, they reappeared.

Here's what happened yesterday - I poured a gallon of liquid chlorine into the deep end. It traveled down to the bottom and the black areas instantly disappeared. After about 10 minutes, they reappeared.
That sounds like they are organic! Scrub scrub scrub….

Did they look the same or different?

Do you have new pictures if the stains look different?

If they look the same it might be something under the liner.

If they look different, they might be copper stains.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did they look the same or different?

Do you have new pictures if the stains look different?

If they look the same it might be something under the liner.

If they look different, they might be copper stains.
The stains are in the exact same place. The liner looks faded and worn on the bottom where the stains are.

Some stains are actually behind the liner, in between the wall or floor and the liner.

Some stains are actually behind the liner, in between the wall or floor and the liner.

I see - thanks. When I have the liner replaced, what can I do to make sure this doesn’t happen again?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.