Opened fiberglass pool and have some brown stains

Jun 21, 2017
Columbus, OH
We opened up our pool last week and there were a lot of leaves in the pool from over the winter. Our pool cover always has a bit of a gap at the end and so it seems like leaves can get in easily.

Anyway, I vacuumed out the leaves and we did an initial test.
FC: 6
CC: 0
Calc Hardness: 275
TA: 80
CYA: 50
pH 7.2
NaCl: 3200.

I then tried to bring up the chlorine by pouring in 7 gallons of bleach and running SWG at 100% for a short shock period. Peak free chlorine got up to 22. We added some CYA as well.
Yesterday evening test was:
FC: 16.5
pH 7.5
CYA: 70.
Water temp was at 76 degrees. I cut down on the SWG to 20% and have left the cover open on the pool to get the chlorine down a bit.

Anyway, here are some pics of the steps in the pool. I'm getting some brown discoloration which has been difficult to scrub off. The images are somewhat subtle, but you can see the discoloration a bit.

Maybe it's just me or the fact that these pics are to a 3rd party site and I can't zoom in, but I don't see the brown staining. I see what appears to be a common faded/chalky look on most surfaces, but not the brown. But since you just opened, the brown may be organics staining that will require a slightly elevated FC level and consistent brushing over a longer period of time. I doubt you have an iron issue there, but you could always rub a Vitamin C tablet on one of the brown spots just to make sure. It may just take some time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.