Open or leave covered

Chief2505

Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2022
West TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Due to some medical issues I will not be able to take care of my pool for the next 6 weeks or so. I will not even be at the house to check on things. The pool is not opened yet and the cover is still on it.

Should I go ahead and open the pool, (fill with water, unplug all the lines and install the jets) and leave the cover on with the pump running 12 hours a day? I have a chlorinator and I am pretty sure I can convince my neighbor to fill it with pucks every 10 days or so. My cover is a solid winter cover with a pump on it to remove any rain water that accumulates on the cover.

Or should I do what I call a complete opening? What I would normally do if I were going to be there to take care of the pool. Remove cover, vac, top off water, check water balance and hope for the best? Again my neighbor would check the chlorine for me and maybe the skimmers once a week but that is about all she would do.

Or should I just leave it closed completely? No water in the lines, no pump, leave the cover on and maybe pour in a gallon of liquid chlorine once a week or so?

I have tried to find a pool company to take care of the pool but they do not exist in rural west Tennessee. Thank you for any information you can provide. I have called two pool places looking for advice on how to best deal with this situation and I have received 2 different answers and neither of those

Is there anyone who can stop by and keep the inline tab feeder full? Not sure on duration between visits to feed tabs, but maybe it's weekly?

If you can keep the tab feeder working, you can keep the pool covered, but not be at the mercy of warm water + no chlorine. You'd then want to open the pool, but keep covered, I'd guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.