Oops...too much chlorine

jstblush

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pasco, WA
Hi All,
We opened our pool last week and it was nice and clear. Been adding chlorine (liquid chlorine) since opening.

Last night about 6 pm I added enough to get to FC of 7. Checked it tonight about 5:30 p.m. and it read FC 2 and CC of 1. Since the chlorine was too low and the CC was reading 1, I thought I would raise the FC to shock which is 16. Well, when I put the numbers in the calculator I forgot to change the percentage from 6% to 10% and added way too much chlorine. I added 553 ounces instead of the 340 I should have added. I got a reading of 29.5 FC. YIKES! So now only thing to do is let FC float down, right? Will this high chlorine hurt anything? It was 91 degrees today and should be the same tomorrow.

The reason I was going to raise it to shock level was because of the 5ppm use from last night to tonight and the CC reading of 1. No one has used the pool and I was thinking it was kind of high usage and didn't like the CC reading.

Was I going in the right direction before I added too much chlorine?

Pool is in full sun all day.

My numbers were:
CYA 40
FC 2 (now 29.5)
CC 1
TC 3
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 75

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
Sherry

Thanks Marty.

I checked my FC last night at 8 pm after all sun off the pool and it was at 29.5.

Checked again at 5:30 am before work and no sun on pool yet. FC was down to 25.5. That's a big overnight loss. Unless I made a mistake because I was in a hurry to get to work.

So pool needed to be topped off. Checked FC after topping off tonight at 7 pm and was at FC 6.5 after all sun off pool. Gonna check it in the am before sun hits the pool and see where I am at.

At first I freaked out because FC was down to 6.5 from 25.5 this morning until I realized I added all that water to top off the pool. Whew! I'll see where I'm at tomorrow.

Stay tuned.
Sherry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.