Oops...I went overboard with the pressure washer

Jun 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Hello everyone!
I purchased a pressure washer a few weeks ago, and have been cleaning everything I can find outside (and having fun doing it!). I have mostly cleaned the cement patio that we have around our pool. The pool is still closed for 1 more week.

Well, today I cleaned the cement slab where the pool equipment is found and cleaned out all of the pine needles, etc. I saw that my heat pump looked dirty and I washed the sides where the coils were with the pressure washer. The heat pump & pool is 3 years old, and I have never got it cleaned/serviced before.

When I came inside, I looked up cleaning heat pumps. And...everything I read says to NOT use a pressure washer!!! Ooops!!! I should have read that first!

From now on, I know this. However, did I do something really wrong? It's not a professional pressure washer. It's a cheaper Ryobi kind.

Has anyone else done this? I hope I haven't damaged my heat pump.

I’m sure there maybe more, but I suspect it’s the fins all around the outside they’re concerned with. Those fins are very thing metal and damaging them can reduce how well the unit works.

That was my thought, too. If the finds got smashed over, there are AC fin combs sold for auto mechanics. I just googled that term and there are even some how-to videos.

Whether or not the fins got mashed, I'd still let it all dry out for a couple days before I turned it on.

The fins are what you should be concerned with. If you did not bend them with the water blast I'd be surprised. I once did that to a HVAC heat pump with water from a garden hose nozzle. The fins are really hard to straighten out even with one of those fin combs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.