Ool Newbie - Notice there's no "P" in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chlorine will take care of all the algae. No need at this point to run other non-pool pumps as you could further damage the plaster.

All: So on my multiport valve, it is REALLY hard to turn. I think there is sand down under the bearing that makes the handle turn. Question is: do I just need to clean that? Or does the whole assembly have to be replaced? I've tried blowing out the sand (with my own air LOL) and spraying it out with the hose. Hose seemed to help slightly. Should I maybe try using an air compressor to blow out the sand??? Also, if there is sand in there doesn't that mean I have a leaky seal? Or maybe my totally awesome pool guy (enter sarcasm here) dropped sand all in it when he changed out the sand

Is the problem with the multiport being hard to move a new issue? Sorry if this advice is off key:
a. Do you have the pump turned off when you move it?
b. I have to push down on my handle pretty hard to get it to move. Have you tried pushing down the handle all the way to get it to move easier?

Sometimes the spider gasket is bad or wasn't seated correctly the last time it was opened. With the equipment off, try unscrewing the multiport value and see if the gasket is evenly seated in the grooves. I would lube the gasket with a healthy amount of pool lube, put it back together and see if it moves easier.

If this doesn't work, spider gaskets are easy and cheap to replace.

It likely just needs to be rebuilt. My father in law did break the handle on his pushing it so hard...Then he rebuilt it...and smooth as butter after that.

Today's pool:
jyjebebe.jpg
aje7usav.jpg
quje4ehy.jpg

It's getting worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will generally look worse before it looks better.

Also, it will look greener for the first 3-12 hours after you brush it until most of the loose debris manages to get killed of by the chlorine and picked up by the filter.

It actually looks a bit like mine did last Thurs-Friday. You probably still have a fair bit of dead leaves/organics unseen down at the bottom as well.

I can't get anything else off the bottom I've even gone so far as to use a ditch pump

The problem is that the organics are generally not solid or heavy enough to just sit still while you are pushing something around blindly under the water. As your leaf rake or vacuum head moves through the water, it creates pressure waves in the water to the front and sides which will tend to push at least some of the debris away from the cleaning tool before it even gets close enough to pick the leaves up. The pieces swirl around for a bit then resettle back on the bottom which is why when you can't see the bottom it so difficult to get everything out of the pool.

I was in the same position of not being able to see the bottom and knowing I had a bunch of junk sitting on the bottom. You just need to keep using the leaf rake until you can see down there. Anything you rake out just saves you from having to use chemical. Raking saves you $$$ on bleach.
I opened and could see some stuff but then it rained for four days and by the time I was out there again it was just green and thick and couldn't see bottom even in the shallow end. Took about 2 weeks to clear up but I didn't stay on top of my chlorine level so likely could have done it in one. Until it starts turning blue you think it never will but it's just a matter of holding it up at SLAM level and having patience.

Here is some "show and tell" on that multiport valve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYGjjBZFF_s

Attachments

• 052514 2014 pool opening.jpg
    052514 2014 pool opening.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC00462.jpg
    DSC00462.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 116
I was in the same position of not being able to see the bottom and knowing I had a bunch of junk sitting on the bottom. You just need to keep using the leaf rake until you can see down there. Anything you rake out just saves you from having to use chemical. Raking saves you $$$ on bleach.

Here is some "show and tell" on that multiport valve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYGjjBZFF_s

My problem is the handle on top of the valve that doens't want to turn. Is that handle linked to the spider gasket?

It is linked to the spider gasket although the most likely cause is actually the shaft in the middle under the handle, you can lube it with the same lube you would use on any other pool gasket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.