Oof, made a mistake how bad is this going to be?

DiyDave

Feb 18, 2021
Florida
My solar system has a manual valve after the automatic solar diverter/vale that I temporarily closed last week when cleaning the filter. This morning I noticed there was no outflow from the returns in the pool and realized I didn't turn the valve back to the on position so when the diverter valve was trying to pump to the roof the water had to nowhere to go.

Everything is working now that the valve is back on, but did I just cause myself accelerated wear on things I need to look out for? I have a pentair variable speed and it never made any odd noises where I would have noticed other than I didn't see the chemicals mixing after I treated the pool today.

Generally you can restrict the output flow of a pump without damage. Restricting it all not 100% sure. I suspect though since it is working now and you didn't see any obvious burst pipes that you are ok.

For most scroll volute pumps, a head pressure greater than the pump can pump against will simply cause a no-flow situation (it generally won't build up enough pressure to burst sch40 pipes). However, if this is constant, and for a long time, the pump motor can overheat. You may have knocked some time of the lifespan of your pump motor but it all appears to be working fine still.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.