Ontario Onground/Semi-Inground Pool & Operational Costs

MisterC

Feb 23, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Very new to the pool world.
My children love their uncle’s pool and we’ve been looking into getting one ourself.
Our yard does not accommodate an inground pool due to the rolling terrain.
I think an onground would work best where I can bury it 2 feet or so and put a deck around it. Make it look as inground as possible.
Our plan is something similar to the photo. A 15x25’ pool. Salt water and natural gas heater.
Looking to get some quotes in the coming days but I’m wondering what an approximate cost would be. I’m not looking for the cost of the deck, I can build that. More just the pool and install.
Additionally what would monthly costs be for the heater and pumps?
I’m in Ontario Canada if it makes a difference.
Thanks all!

Attachments

• F68030C5-49C6-402C-A947-2D5D658F41D2.jpeg
    F68030C5-49C6-402C-A947-2D5D658F41D2.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! :wave: I updated your thread title in hopes of getting some more specific info you are looking for. I don't use a heater, so I can't speak to that. My pump may have increased my electric bill about $15 is all. Then there are chemicals of course - buying liquid chlorine (bleach) or installing a salt water generator. But hopefully you'll find what you're looking for here at TFP.

Ontario is a HUGE place, and the prices/climate/availability can vary greatly depending on where you are.
Toronto, Windsor, or any number of bigger, more populated areas are not going to be comparable to someplace like Kenora, or Timmins.
If you could narrow down a region, you might get a bit better of a reply.

Can you get quotes from both the big and small and check out some of their builds? That may give you a better idea. As far as cost of pool and install, that always varies depending on the pool you choose and where you live. To give you an idea: I am going to have a Wilbar Optimum installed 22 inches in the ground. The pool I chose is a 24' round and the pool and install was quoted at $13,600. An oval pool is more costly to buy and to install. With my pool, an oval pool or a round pool more than 22 inches in the ground requires a concrete collar, which will add to the expense. You show in wall steps in that photo. I priced out the liner over steps with the Radiant pool and those added $4000. I don't know if this helps at all, but I thought it might give you some kind of idea of the price of a semi inground.
Just saw your last post. I'm not sure how they can do a semi inground without getting an excavator in there. Are you dead set on a semi?

I am in Alberta and last year was our first summer with the pool. 27'. We keep the pool at about 87 and we had a cold wet summer. If memory serves our power bill went up by $15-$20 and natural gas was about another $80 per month.

Regardless of what pool you put in grading is the most important part. The good thing though is that if it is done properly it only has to be done once. We were able to do all the grading ourselves and that saved alot on the cost.

Reactions: MisterC
I am in Alberta and last year was our first summer with the pool. 27'. We keep the pool at about 87 and we had a cold wet summer. If memory serves our power bill went up by $15-$20 and natural gas was about another $80 per month.

Regardless of what pool you put in grading is the most important part. The good thing though is that if it is done properly it only has to be done once. We were able to do all the grading ourselves and that saved alot on the cost.
Semi inground or completely above ground?
Very true, Last summer was not ideal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking you could get a mini skid steer back there. I think they are only about 3 feet wide. Then you, or someone you hire, could level out a place for a pool? Obviously I don't know how off level your yard is so I don't know if this is an option, but wanted to throw it out there. Do you have a big slope you need to cut in to? I'm curious why a semi inground would be less expensive or less work than an above ground. I hope you can figure out a way to make this happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.