Only turn multiport valve in one direction?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I'm not even sure where i read it but is that true because it could damage the gasket? I have always moved it from filter to backwash (counter clockwise) then returned it to rinse (clockwise) and then back to filter (clockwise).

Would i be better only going in one direction and just go on around?

Clear as mud huh?? I just googled it and see several answers saying that 1 direction is the way to go.

Woody - I found my instruction manual and it doesn't mention anything so i am with you i guess. I've been doing it for about 8 years now as well.

It is clear it shouldn't be changed with the pump running!

I have the Pentair 261152 MP Valve and I don't follow the 'turn only 1 direction' rule. I don't dispute it but I haven't seen any issues with not using that rule.

Regarding potential Gasket damage (assuming we're referring to the 'Spider' Gasket) if valve is turned in either direction, that shouldn't be an issue if the user is shutting off the pump & allowing a few seconds for the valve handle to relax (a slight upward motion after the water pressure is nulled). The handle should lift the Diffuser (sometimes referred to as the Diverter) assembly upward, not in contact with the Gasket so when the valve is rotated, the Gasket isn't in play regarding damage.

If the Valve Spring is defective, weak, or broken, that would affect the Gasket although it's most likely one would encounter other issues with that, ie, leakby into the Waste/Drain outlet, etc.

One thing I've wondered about regarding the 'one direction' approach, is that may reduce wear on the Diffuser Shaft O-rings & the Top Plate. For example, if debris is lodged in that area, multidirectional rotation could reduce the life of the shaft O-rings & the plate sealing surface.

The last time I rebuilt/lub'ed the MP Valve assembly was Dec 2015. The handle is beginning to show some resistance when rotating so I'll probably pull it soon for a re-lube. I might try the 'one-direction' rotating rule afterward to see if there's a notable difference in maintenance cycle time between re-lube's.

Lubrication is the key word. Just keep an eye on the force needed to turn the handle.
If it get heavy, then open it up and lubricate. If curious then go ahead and lubricate
and you will feel the difference.

Felipe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.