Only one skimmer working

Max L

Aug 31, 2020
Memphis, TN
So I moved into a new home with a pool a few months ago. Since we moved in, the only skimmer that has worked has been the shallow skimmer (furthest from the pump). We have not had a problem with trash, but I figured I'd see if I could get them both going to improve circulation. This past weekend I decided to give it a shot. I read that it may be clogged and to take a plunger to the non-working skimmer. So I did. After that, I shut of the water lines to each skimmer and turned them back on. Now, somehow, the deep end skimmer works and the one that had previously worked now does not. Does anybody have any tips or ideas for me? It would be greatly appreciated. (Also, the hole in the bottom of the skimmer closest to the water is plugged in each skimmer. I don't think that has anything to do with it, but figured it could be relevant.)

Hi there Max :wave:

Can you run a strong water hose backwards from the pump towards the skimmer and see if that clears the line?

Do you have valves that you alter to increase or decrease suction on the skimmers?

Do you have a main drain in the bottom of the pool?

Maddie

Hi there Max :wave:

Can you run a strong water hose backwards from the pump towards the skimmer and see if that clears the line?

Do you have valves that you alter to increase or decrease suction on the skimmers?

Do you have a main drain in the bottom of the pool?

Maddie
Hey, YippeeSkippy

Thanks for the reply!
1) I ran a hose from the pump to the skimmers. I closed off the questionable skimmer and the one in the deep end had water and a little debris come through. When I tried the other one (shallow end) there was nothing coming through at all.

2)I don't believe I have any valves to control the suction. Only a lever to turn it on or off.

3) yes, we do have one main drain in the deep end. It also appears that some sediment did come out of it during this process, if that helps.

Max,

The hole closest to the water would normally go to the main drain in older pool.. If it is plugged, that generally means your main drain is plumbed back to your equipment pad.

Normally the skimmer that is nearest to the equipment pad gets all the suction, making the other skimmer appear to be weak.. This is what I do..

Only open the main drain about 5 or 10%.. Not really needed at all, but you want to keep water in the pipes.
Open the far skimmer 100%..
Open the near skimmer and adjust so that the far skimmer and near skimmer "feel" like they have the same amount of suction.. To do that you have to take the skimmer baskets out and feel the suction at the open pipes in the bottom of the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.