Only Doughboy liners for Doughboy pools?

Jun 18, 2014
jasper, IN
I'm trying to buy a liner for my Doughboy pool. I talked to a pool supply store who was happy to sell me a replacement liner until they found out it was a Doughboy pool. They changed their tune telling me that you *must* use Doughboy liners in a Doughboy pool. They couldn't tell me why, just that "generic liners won't work".

Seems to me to be BS. I can't see anything magic about the Doughboy pool. The liner overlaps the top of the pool, so it isn't like there is a special receiver involved.

I have noticed the pool measures a bit under 28' (27' 9" one direction, 27' 11" measured 90 degrees from the first measurement). So, I figure the actual diameter to be 27' 10". Is that 2" difference from 28' critical?

A Doughboy replacement liner is $1200. The best generic liner I can find is around $600. The pool is 15 years old, so I don't want to drop a bunch of money on it.

Has anyone put a generic liner in a Doughboy pool?

Seems to be a bunch of comments like these about quality of the Doughboy liner and to compare the weight and thickness of a Doughboy liner against others.

We put a Doughboy in a Doughboy. The liners are thicker and installation requires stretching the liner as it fills with water. Don't know about using the generic but we wouldn't/didn't do it.

As long as you buy a 28' liner you'll be fine. If your pool has a deep end you'll need to buy an expandable liner.

Doughboy has a proprietary bead system on their beaded pools, but the only issue with their overlap pools is that they're a bit of an odd size (28' instead of the normal 27'), but a lot of people make 28' liners for doughboy pools.

Follow up: I ended up buying a doughboy liner. I bought a beaded liner and adapter clips. The local doughboy dealer assured me that installing the beaded liner would be a lot easier than the overlap liner, and it ended up being a bit cheaper than the overlap liner.

Even though the final cost was half again as much as a generic liner, I figured that putting a new liner in was a lot of work, and I wanted this to last several more years.

Have you started to install it yet?
How is it working out?
Do you have to stretch the beaded liner? (using the overlap has to be stretched when there is a deep end )

No, waiting on a sunny day over 70 degrees. And considering the hefty weight of the Doughboy liner, I need a helper with a strong back to help get the new liner in the pool. Have to wait until isolation is over.

My pool bottom is flat, so no stretching to worry about.

Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.