Online sources of bleach - Fall 2022 edition

jolla

Jun 19, 2021
Central TX
As of the last week or so, the Walmart website lists the Pool Essentials 10% bleach/chlorine I've been using as not available. I'm assuming it's seasonal and I need to find a new source?
What are y'all using now? There must be somewhere to buy liquid chlorine at a reasonable price online. Any advice?

rant: I last had a pool 6 years ago and finding bleach was no problem - grocery store, target, walmart, hardware store etc. Now they all seem to only stock the stuff with additives. Had I know when I put a pool in this year that it would be so difficult I'd have added a SWG. So dang frustrating.

Update, someone on another thread suggested a HASA dealer - which I found one nearby.
Looks like they charge $4.86/gallon currently with the re-usable containers for 12.5% strength. Perfect.

Better to go with an SWG. Buying bleach in bulk and storing it for long periods of time is not worth it. 12.5% LC can only be stored for a little less than 60 days before it loses a significant amount of its strength and then it’s less than 10% LC. And that’s under optimal conditions. An SWG by contrast costs as much as buying all of your LC up front and then you never have to worry about who has fresh LC and how much it costs. When I look back on my SWG purchases, it’s always worked out favorable in terms of cost. I bought my last SWG right before the pandemic and wild inflation and so I “priced in” my chlorine cost lower than what liquid chlorine is costing nowadays. Buying an SWG now would lock you into a higher price but I don’t see the cost of LC going down dramatically so it will, at worst, break even for you over the life of an SWG cell.

Your choice but buying LC isn’t worth it nowadays of you can covert to a salt water pool.

Yeah, I may look into a SWG soon.. I live in Texas and have limestone coping so I chickened out of the SWG and got a Stenner pump to automate. It's hard to determine if there is really a concern with salt/limestone or not, so much conflicting information. But I didn't anticipate plain chlorine being so hard to find based on my prior pool experience.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
So I believe Home Depot just raised the price of their HDX 10% Chlorine from $9.99 for 2 gal to $17.98 for 2 gal (80% increase). Holy smokes! I bought 4 gallons of chlorine on 10/12/22 for $21.68 (8.5% sales tax here).

I was able to locate refillable somewhat on the way to work for $10 deposit and 4 refillables for $27.99 which is $7/gal at I think 12.5%.

Seems like a VSP pump with SWG is coming in the spring when temps and electricity cost start rising. Maybe can offload the perfectly fine single speed pump on OfferUp/Craigslist.

That just made me think about liquid bleach vs. trichlor. It would cost me about $75/month in the summer to use LC and about $55/month to use trichlor. If I dump 1/3 of my pool a month, it costs $20 in water. It might be worth dumping water now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.