Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
It's been (almost) a year since I put this product on the deck and my COVID-19 isolation project of the weekend was to move all of the furniture, plants, etc... off the deck and give the area a good clean and put down some more sealant for the summer. Just thought I'd give a quick review of the results so far.

No big surprises. There was some mildew/dirt that didn't want to just hose off, but it neither did it seem to be tenacious enough to get out a pressure washer. So I made up a weak solution of bleach and laundry detergent and gave it a light scrub to get the funk out of the nooks and crannies, which worked fine. In a few places I had some iron stains (plant stands that will NOT be put there for the winter again) which I had to get after with more aggressive methods, but they mostly came out. I had about a gallon of the mixed product left after finishing up last year, so I transferred it to a paint can and sealed it up with the hopes that I could use it to touch up. Opened the can up and gave it a good mix and it seemed to be fine; I touched up my spots and it dried normally and still matched the original color. The website says it will last for 3 weeks in a sealed container- I went a good bit beyond that! I then re-sealed it with the same sealant. I don't know that I really NEEDED to do this, but since I had done some touch-ups (and I'm climbing the walls with boredom), and it didn't seem to be as hydrophobic as it was in the first months, I went ahead with it.

I think that if I were more diligent about hosing off the surfaces regularly, I wouldn't have needed to do that scrub. And I'll be getting some small tiles or pavers to put under the feet of anything iron that sits on the deck.

In summary, it held up really well. The cracks in the deck that it filled are still invisible- the only place where there are cracks are at the seams where the caulking shrunk a little bit, and that was kind of expected. The color I used was very light, but it doesn't appear to have faded much or at all over the year. So far, I'm still pleased with it; Here's to another year (albeit, a year that is promising to be challenging).

Thanks for posting your experiences with Encore. Do you recall how many square feet a bucket would cover? I see it's less than advertised, curious if you call? Thanks.

So my deck is shaped kind of wonky, and I only made some rough guesstimates as to how many buckets I needed and ended up with only a little bit from the last bucket leftover. But it just occurred to me that I have the original blueprints for the pool, and maybe that information is on there somewhere? Now whether it is accurate or not, is another story... When I get home today, I'll take a picture of the plans and upload it.

So my deck is shaped kind of wonky, and I only made some rough guesstimates as to how many buckets I needed and ended up with only a little bit from the last bucket leftover. But it just occurred to me that I have the original blueprints for the pool, and maybe that information is on there somewhere? Now whether it is accurate or not, is another story... When I get home today, I'll take a picture of the plans and upload it.
Edit: I think most of my questions were answered in your original thread linked above. I do wonder if the 150SF per bucket is accurate though. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Edit: I think most of my questions were answered in your original thread linked above. I do wonder if the 150SF per bucket is accurate though. Thanks!!!
Sorry- I totally forgot about this. Work got crazy in the midst of the Covid and crude oil market insanity.

My $0.02 is that 150 SF, for 2 good coats, is probably close to right. But I guess it will depend some on whether you have a lot of existing texture or not.

I'm still happy with it- after the touch-ups and re-sealing this spring it continues to look great.

Reactions: EdKuhn

Happy Memorial Day- I just came across my pool plans and remembered this thread!

So, the drawings are no help- there are no dimensions listed on the deck (only the pool). On the specification side of the sheet, It lists KoolDeck in Buff with the square footage of 550. I'm not sure that's correct, though- If it is, then the Cool product went much further than specified when applied as directed.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 26
Does it actually help with surface temperature ? Easier to walk or lay on in the Texas heat ?
Unfortunately, I don't really have a benchmark to compare with. All I can say is that in full July/August heat I can walk barefoot on it, but is it better than it was before? I can't really say for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.