One week of bacquacil and want to convert!

So, I just installed a new liner and wanted to try bacquacil (again) because I thought it would keep liner looking new longer. (Knowing I would probably only get a couple of years of using Bac before the problems began-I had used it for several years and converted to TFP method in 2017, 2018)
Well, I have had pool up and running for literally one week and am ready to convert to chlorine...I know, I know- I should've known better !
I plan on draining 1/2 the water (more if you tell me how far down I should drain without causing liner issues), refilling and starting conversion. I will follow TFP method of conversion.
My question are, since my water will be partially fresh and I don't have any real problems yet, is it going to take a lot of scrubbing and cleaning?
Also, do I have to change my sand or can I just deep clean it. I am conflicted because on the one hand pool school says to change it, I read another post somewhere that said you never have to change sand, just deep clean.
hoping since everything is new it wont be as much of an ordeal
Thanks in advance!
Right now alkalinity and ph are in check, but if I am draining and refilling will have to get them straight again, and can report my numbers at that time if necessary.

Did you add any CDX product?

I would suggest you drain as much as you can. Typically leaving 18” of water in the shallow end is enough to hold a liner in place. If you can do multiple drains and refills with a submersible pump in the deep end and a slow running hose at the shallow end, you may be able to exchange enough water without too much mixing of the layers.

Changing the sand is recommended because the Baqua-goop created by chlorine reacting with biguanide creates a thick & sticky mess that adheres to the sand. No amount of deep cleaning removes it. If you can do the initial chlorine conversion in recirculate mode and physically scoop out any baqua-snot before it gets to the sand, then you might be able to save your new sand fill.

Good luck.

yes i added cdx
no deep end, 52 inch pool with 48'" water
will i have a lot of goop after just one week?
Where would I be scooping snot from ? filter basket? top of water?
Also wondering if I am going to drain, would it make a difference if I use the bacquacil I have already purchased for a couple weeks, then drain and convert or will I just be making it harder on myself the longer I wait?

Last edited:
The more CDX you use, the harder it will be to convert. The amount of goo created depends on the sanitizer level. If you have the recommended sanitizer level (~50ppm) then it’s going to create a lot of goo when it reacts with chlorine. This is why TFP suggests converting after the winter precipitation has fill the pool with fresh water and diluted a lot of the sanitizer away.

You’ll want to skim out the goo using a leaf skimmer. Otherwise it will clog the sand up in your filter.

Since you added CDX, a healthy water exchange is in your best benefit. You will still need to follow the instructions, but it will help make the process much more efficient. You will have goop. How much is hard to tell, but have your camera ready to take pics. You will manually scoop goo from anywhere you can find it - maybe suspended, settled, stuck in the skimmer, etc. If you know you're gong to convert, I would go into it 100% now and not add anymore baquacil. You'll just delay the process. When you exchange water, take care to not empty the pool completely. In fact, with an above ground and your local water table, be careful going any lower than halfway. Everything you need to know is on that baqua page link above. Have plenty of bleach on-hand for when you start and don't skip any steps. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.