OmniPL Programming for Heater + Valve

Fshine

Bronze Supporter
May 4, 2019
Phila
Hi everyone - Been going through all the various threads and am just not knowledgeable enough to know if this has been answered somewhere so apologies if it was. I have a mess of pool equipment and upgraded my panel to OmniPL from a (very) old Goldline controller. I have most of the Hayward Omni programming completed successfully, but there are a few items I cannot figure out how to complete.

1) Raypak Heater control - This is connected via 2-wire to the LVL1 connectors on the OmniPL board as per the instructions. The heater power is connected via the Filter (HVL1 in my system) relay and not directly to the breaker. Note - I recently installed a Hayward 2.4hp VSP which is directly connected to the same breaker. I cannot get the system to reliably turn on the heater to heat no matter what I do (via app or control panel). It has turned on randomly but I cannot consistently determine how. Any insights on if I have something configured or hooked up incorrectly?

2) I have a pool and spa. I have a valve that the old system would automatically activate when I switched between pool and spa modes since they are both plumbed to the main filter. However, I cannot figure out how to get that valve to activate when I enable the spa filter in the Omni system. I do not see the appropriate option.

I am including a picture of the equipment and panel for reference and have highlighted the valve and heater wires. Thank you in advance for the help and long live TFP!

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 6
Disconnect the heater control wire from the LVL1 connector and put the probes of your multimeter on it while in CONTINUITY mode. The multimeter should show the relay is OPEN when the heater is OFF and the relay is CLOSED when the heater is ON in the OmniPL. If the relay is not properly opening and closing when heat is toggled in the OmniPL then you have a Configuration problem.

When you switch between POOL mode and SPA mode the actuators should turn on the suction valve and return valve. You red circled the suction actuator. Does the RETURN actuator turn when changing between POOL and SPA?

Check that the toggle switch on the side of the actuator is not in the center OFF position. Move the toggle switch between ON1 and ON2 and see if the valve rotates.

Last edited:
@ajw22 Thank you for the info. I do not have a multi-meter so will need to get one to confirm. For the moment, assuming the relay is properly opening and that it's a configuration problem, I confirmed that the actuators were both set to the 'ON/ON1' positions. In the panel itself, I only have one flow switch RJ485 connected in there yet I have two flow switches that must move in unison to put the system properly into SPA mode... the old panel only had one as well. Not sure if that is a problem so calling it out.

The other thing I noticed and wanted to clarify - the heater is being powered in the panel via the 'Filter Line In' and the 'Filter Line Out' relay (HVL1) which is then connected to the 30amp breaker in spots 1+2 on the panel. This is how it was set up previously. When I configured the Omni this morning to enable HVL1 for the heater, it did turn the power to the heater on when I toggled on the heater in the Omni. However, since it isn't using the communication wire with that configuration, the heater doesn't actually fire (which I suspected). So my question is should I have the heater powered differently, etc. and not have it connected at all to the HVL as per the picture?

Last edited:
In the panel itself, I only have one flow switch RJ485 connected in there yet I have two flow switches that must move in unison to put the system properly into SPA mode... the old panel only had one as well. Not sure if that is a problem so calling it out.

Why do you have two flow switches?

The flow switch connects to the Flow Switch Connector, not RS-485.

1714580622858.png

1714580589175.png

1714580511042.png

The other thing I noticed and wanted to clarify - the heater is being powered in the panel via the 'Filter Line In' and the 'Filter Line Out' relay (HVL1) which is then connected to the 30amp breaker in spots 1+2 on the panel. This is how it was set up previously. When I configured the Omni this morning to enable HVL1 for the heater, it did turn the power to the heater on when I toggled on the heater in the Omni. However, since it isn't using the communication wire with that configuration, the heater doesn't actually fire (which I suspected). So my question is should I have the heater powered differently, etc. and not have it connected at all to the HVL as per the picture?

HVL1 is correct to power the heater only when the pump is running.

Apologies, I 'misspoke'. The flow switch is connected where you have highlighted and I will double-check that I configured that properly in the Omni.

Good to know re: HVL1. The issue is that I also installed a new Hayward VSP pump that I removed from that relay and had to wire directly to the breaker itself, with the comms wire controlling the pump. So with the way this is currently wired, I'm confused how the heater ever turns on if just programming it for the LVL1 relay?

Good to know re: HVL1. The issue is that I also installed a new Hayward VSP pump that I removed from that relay and had to wire directly to the breaker itself, with the comms wire controlling the pump. So with the way this is currently wired, I'm confused how the heater ever turns on if just programming it for the LVL1 relay?

POOL mode does a few things. It turns on the pump and it should close HLVL1 to turn on any other devices that need to run at the same time as the pump.

The Omni configuration settings can be complex and it is difficult helping you when there is not a complete understanding of the devices connected and how they are wired. The Omni configuration must match the devices connected and the way they should operate. Hayward gives you a lot of flexibility that can be a two edged sword.

@ajw22 I apologize for my naivete with this stuff and appreciate your assistance. I went back through the configuration and it's clear I have work to do on identifying which valves control which items in the system. Having said that, I also confirmed that the heater is not being powered unless I select HVL1 in Omni instead of LVL1 where the comms wire is connected. Is there something else I need to set on the Omni to get it to enable HVL1 when the filter is running? It's a VSP so I cannot select that and am wondering if there is a wiring update I would need to make to have this happen?

Having said that, I also confirmed that the heater is not being powered unless I select HVL1 in Omni instead of LVL1 where the comms wire is connected. Is there something else I need to set on the Omni to get it to enable HVL1 when the filter is running? It's a VSP so I cannot select that and am wondering if there is a wiring update I would need to make to have this happen?

Connect the heater to continuous power like your VS pump is.

Thank you - all equipment is working now as I was hoping for! Really appreciate your help.

Now my next focus is on how to enable the lighting properly - haven't figured that out after multiple combos.

Thanks again!