OmniLogic Freeze Protect w/features

QSS

Dec 10, 2021
Texas
Recently had our pool built. We have a water feature that is controlled by an actuator. When the water features are on - the return jets are completely off. (So it’s one or the other). I had asked the PB what happens during a freeze and was told that the OmniLogic would cycles between turning the water feature on and off (to cycle between return and features).

Last night we had our first freeze for it to kick on. It activated the water features however the features stayed on all night. Never cycled to the return jets.

Is there a setting I need to enable or change somewhere? Seems to me I really need water flowing to all during a freeze.??

Picture of the actuator? If it’s a Hayward type actuator you could unscrew the knob on the handle a little bit, then push down on the screw, and while keeping the screw pushed down (which unlocks the handle) move the handle to a position that sends water to both the features and the returns. You might have to switch the switch on the bottom of the actuator to off though - I can’t remember if the automaton will try to override your manual setting or not.

Picture of the actuator? If it’s a Hayward type actuator you could unscrew the knob on the handle a little bit, then push down on the screw, and while keeping the screw pushed down (which unlocks the handle) move the handle to a position that sends water to both the features and the returns. You might have to switch the switch on the bottom of the actuator to off though - I can’t remember if the automaton will try to override your manual setting or not.
It is Hayward. gVA-24.

I have the same system. I’m not sure on the programming - I only have a single bubbler configured to be returns only or returns+bubbler. and it was already set to “on” when freeze mode started. If you google for the gva24 manual there should be some diagrams. Like I said, you can unscrew the tightening screw on the handle a little bit, then it will push down and that “unlocks” the handle and you should be able to manually turn it. There’s a switch on the bottom of the actuator that will turn it off completely. That’s what I’d do to get you through this freeze, because you do want it running.

As far as programming, you can enter the setup menu on the OmniLogic (your MSP ID is the passcode) and see what freeze settings there are…I’m not much help there cuz I’m new to the system as well.

Yeah hanks for the advice on how to manually turn the actuator. I did that and gave it 50/50 between the water features and return jets for now:)
On yours - does it cycle between your return jets and you water feature?

My actuator is setup to switch between return jets + water feature or return jets only. The freeze mode doesn’t seem to touch the actuator, although that might be configurable in the settings.

The manual says:

Freeze Protection Enabled? Freeze protection is used to protect the pool and plumbed equipment against freeze damage during
cold temperatures. If freeze protection is enabled AND the air temperature falls below the freeze threshold, the OmniLogic will turn
on the filter pump to circulate the water. If two Bodies of Water are configured, the valves will also alternate between the pool and spa
every 30 minutes and the filter pump will turn off while the valves are turning. The chlorinator will not operate if freeze protection is
the only reason the pump is running.
If Yes is selected:
Freeze Protection Temperature? Select the temperature to be used for freeze protection. Temperature is adjustable from
33oF-42oF (1oC-6oC). 38oF (3oC) is default. This threshold will be used for all outputs that have freeze protection enabled.

I have the same system and I do have a water feature (deck jets). I don't have mine configured in a manor that will alternate between returns and deck jets in "freeze protect" mode. I don't know if you can with the same body of water. If your water feature had it's own pump...yes it could turn on the water feature during freeze protect. If your water feature was configured as another body of water like a they state above...it will switch between one and the other.

Here is what I did. I added a drain to the line that runs my deck jets and at the end of the summer I open that drain and blow all the water out of those lines. I take the jet spray orifices out and put plugs in them that way there no way for rain water to get in the line and there is nothing to freeze.

Red arrow is my drain for the deck jet supply line.
20210801_145924.jpg

Great info @duckcmmndr!

for my system since I just have a single water feature (a bubbler) I take the bubbler fitting off in the pool and leave the water feature “on” all winter. No fountain but those pipes still circulate. I actually have a different eyeball that I put on it that directs the water out sideways instead of straight up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.