Omnilogic & Ecostar pump control not working

May 10, 2017
Phoenix
I just finished installing my new Omnilogic control base unit and hooked up my Ecostar pump according to the directions I have read on this forum. I am pretty sure I hooked it up correctly because in configuration, the Omnilogic recognized the Ecostar (I could see and selected the Hayward Unique Address, HUA). I read in another post that Ecostars from before 2015 did not communicate with the Omnilogic control board because they were not able to see the HUA. I bought my pump in 2014 so I was worried I would have that problem as well. I was happy when I hooked it all up and saw the HUA show up, I thought I was good to go. However, now when I try to start the pump from the Omnilogic control base, it says the pump is running, but it is not. So from the Omnilogic it looks as though everything works, but the pump actually never turns on. Any ideas why this is what I might be missing?

I hooked up #7 from the Ecostar data connect to #2 of the LS bus on the Omnilogic and #8 from Ecostar to #3 on Omnilogic. The picture that says EcoStar at the top shows where I connected to 7 & 8. I connected to the 7 & 8 labeled "COMBUS" (the ones that show black and yellow lines coming out in the picture), not the 7 & 8 just below that. Then on the Omnilogic I connected to 2 & 3 on the green plug labled #2 in the picture (note: I read in another post that 1 & 2 green plugs are actually the same and you can connect to either one). Also note that the green plugs are number backwards, 4-3-2-1, not 1-2-3-4, don't ask me why.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Attachments

• Omnilogic-I (1).jpg
    Omnilogic-I (1).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20180625_132703.jpg
    IMG_20180625_132703.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
So I called Hayward and they helped me get it working. Turns out I did nothing incorrect in the set up. The problem was that for some unknown reason the Omnilogic unit dropped the connection. Before I called Hayward, I checked in the system info of the Omnilogic control unit that the HUA of the pump being recognized in the Omnilogic unit matched the HUA of the Ecostar pump itself and it did, so I thought that meant it was still connected. However, while on the phone with Hayward, they had me go back into the config wizard and when I did this lo and behold the pool had no pump assigned to it. So all I had to do was select the pump from the drop down menu while in config wizard, save, reboot and now it works. I don't know why it dropped the connection. The rep said sometimes it does that with power surges or power cycles or if you are going in and making changes "too much" in the config wizard. Seems odd that it would drop the connection, anyway, I am glad it's working now. I just hope it keeps working and doesn't drop the connection again. At least I know how to fix it now if it does drop the connection, but it would be annoying if I have to do that too often, or if it drops the connection while I am away on vacation and then the pump does not run the whole time I am gone. That would be bad...time will tell. What gives me some comfort is that it never worked at all, so maybe I just didn't save the set up correctly the first time or something, I don't know.

I am installing my recently purchased omnilogic and Ecostar pump and still (4/20/2019) had the exact issue you mentioned above, the manuals are not updated yet. I will be using your instructions in the morning. Thanks!

Did this work for you? I connected my communication cable to the LSBus today 2,3,4 Left to Right. While in the OmniLogic configuration wizard it didn’t recognize my HUA.. Based on being on this thread I feel like I need to change my wiring as others have said the numbers are backwards.

I am installing my recently purchased omnilogic and Ecostar pump and still (4/20/2019) had the exact issue you mentioned above, the manuals are not updated yet. I will be using your instructions in the morning. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.