OMG - What would you do / say ??

Aug 17, 2013
East, TN
So... I bought a new AGP in January from The Pool Factory. I did not factor in a few measurements to one side and a couple other reasons and long story short I am trying to sell it. I list it on CL for almost half off since the restocking fee and shipping and having someone other than myself lug nearly 400lb's to the curb for a shipper to pick up. So someone in my area could get a really great deal. I have had like five people contact me and ask if it comes with a pump, had five more contact me to say they can get one for half the price. Theses folks, probably never had a pool and are looking at Intex/Swimline/etc pools and comparing my sell to that, it is infuriating! It is like they don't understand no matter what I say. One lady just asked me to come down $800 saying she sees one for sell, same size. I am like not going to even reply. I am thinking of moving the price up. What would you do?

I would increase the price and emphasize in your description that it is a solid walled pool, not an Intex or blow up pool. Depending on the size and shipping arrangements, I might have been interested! I'm desultorily looking for a 15 ft pool to eventually replace my 14 ft pool. But the prices are insane! One was over $1000, and that was the LEAST expensive!!

Reactions: rkipper
Just put “Price is FINAL, No haggling!” in the description and anyone that calls and tries to bargain just say you’re not interested. As long as it’s described as “open box, unused, brand new” you don’t need to get into any lengthy arguments. If someone says, “I can get one cheaper…” then you simply reply, “Well then, it looks like you have better option, so you should take that.” Then go silent. I absolutely abhor Craig’s List and, after using it a few times, I will never use it again.

Another option would be to donate it to some local charity and, if you itemize deductions, use the donation as a tax write off.

I'm with Matt. Say that the price is firm and if anyone contacts you with a lower price reply with nothing except "The price is firm, as was clearly listed". If someone tells you they can get it cheaper elsewhere I'd reply, "that's fantastic, you should buy it from there then!" and nothing else. You are allowed to ignore people or tell them you're not interested in selling the item to them. You are under no obligation to entertain offers, reply to messages, or sell to anybody.

I've read too many "Choosy Beggar" stories where the person has allowed the CB to goad them on or pressure them to sell at a ridiculous price. People going on for pages talking to someone who was never going to pay a fair price. Don't let that happen to you. These people are con artists who have convinced themselves they're just savvy shoppers, you don't owe them a thing. Get through them and eventually you'll get someone ready to show up with a pickup and cash in hand. Oh right, and don't fall for the "this is all the cash I brought, take it or leave it" scam. If they agree to a price and show up demanding a discount, tell them to get off your property.

"Bring cash and a truck and you can be assembling your solid wall pool today! No waiting, available now."

Market the availability and convenience, not the low price. Then be patient for the right buyer as the days get hotter.

Be sure to use the stock photos from the pool factory in your ad. As well as put the link to the product so they can see what the retail price is. Also try Facebook marketplace. It ought to go like a hot potato on there. Did u get a swg with it ? Asking for a friend “cough” “cough”.

Reactions: Snoobug

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't be too discouraged by CL it is FULL of bottom feeders. I do the same thing as above I offer anything I sell on it for 3x what I actually would take. And of course the first 5 or so CL offers are scams anyway.

If CL turns out to be too frustrating I suggest you try you local nextdoor or ebay. For ebay just put local pickup only. A pool kit should sell like a minute after you list it. Problem with CL is potential buyers don't consider it a valid source since there are SO MANY scammers on it.

Also I would not sell it for a penny below what you paid this is a true supply/demand issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey Rk !! I have sold more than $45k on Letgo and OfferUp. I had sold many high ticket items of mine like laptops and then inherited a store and parted it out.

Here is what I can tell you. People suck and it’s not even their own fault, it’s the yard sale mentality trying to get a steal of a bargain. I always set my price at 50% value and only sell new or almost new things. I have 5 cars in my driveway and that’s a lot of glass to loose if somebody comes back mad with a bat. A few hundred bucks is never worth it.

Anywho, At least a dozen times I claimed to have sold an item that had a particularly high #s of low-ballers and re-listed the same item at 75% value and ‘came down’ to 60% value.

One of those was a cellphone that I sold to the same guy lowballing me for $150 MORE two weeks later. Congratulations jerk, you played yourself.

Now the pool being such an in-demand item, at the start of summer, with many shortages........ ask full price and take the first reasonable offer.

Reactions: kimkats
had five more contact me to say they can get one for half the price. Theses folks, probably never had a pool and are looking at Intex/Swimline/etc pools and comparing my sell to that, it is infuriating! It is like they don't understand no matter what I say. One lady just asked me to come down $800 saying she sees one for sell, same size. I am like not going to even reply. I am thinking of moving the price up. What would you do?
That's internet selling for you. That's just how the collective "people" are. There's always those that literally ask "is it still available?" I say "yup" and never hear another peep from them. Or the lowballers who haggle at 25-50% of asking price and "I have cash, I can come in an hour". They are just resellers or not really interested.
The past two days have been the hottest so far this year. I was selling an air conditioner and out come the trolls looking at me like I'm fresh meat or whatever trolls eat, frogs or something.

For the pool, it's supply and demand. You have the item and you should get a reasonable price for it. In reality, for someone who really wants a pool, they can order online and hope it's in stock, or try to find a local store who has one and then have to wait for it to be shipped in. Or they can buy yours that you have right now. But I wouldn't haggle. With EVERYTHING right now, it's a sellers market. You have an item in demand and the people who want it will pay for it. They are the ones who you should respond to, ignore / delete the rest. If you think 50% of purchase price is fair then accept it. Maybe your motivated to get rid of it so you set the price to just be done with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.