OMG I think I screwed up already

Jun 26, 2008
Okay, so I after I got my water tested I added CYA to my pool. I thought I read somewhere to add it to the skimmer so this is what I did....the filter was on....I hope that was right :cry: I started getting nervous about that so I also added some directly to the pool. It is now sitting on the bottom of the pool. So now what?
First did I mess up by adding it to the skimmer?....FYI I just learned what the heck a skimmer was for today :oops:
Will the CYA sitting on the bottom of the pool mess up the liner?

*1st time pool owner
Just installed this week
15x30 AG Pool

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

There is no real problem with adding the CYA to the skimmer. Just don't backwash or clean the filter for about a week to make sure the CYA is fully dissolved. As for the stuff on the liner, just brush it a couple of times a day and it will eventually dissolve.

I like to put my CYA in a sock in the skimmer. It dissolves just fine and doesn't make a mess.

Pouring the CYA into the skimmer and then not cleaning your filter for a week is the easiest way to add it to your pool and is the way that is most often recommened by the manufacuters and most pool professionals, myself included.

I've also added cya through the skimmer a number of times but... we had a pool ~6 years ago where the owner had added ~ 6 lbs in the skimmer all at once (just dumped the bucket in) and it clogged the skimmer line so badly that we ended up having to abandon the line and open up the reserve line to keep the skimmer functional :shock: Ever since then, I've used nylon kneehighs to add the cya via the skimmer!

I'm not saying that adding it directly through the skimmer will cause a problem, but go slow and make sure it's passing through the line!! 8)

waste said:
I've also added cya through the skimmer a number of times but... we had a pool ~6 years ago where the owner had added ~ 6 lbs in the skimmer all at once (just dumped the bucket in) and it clogged the skimmer line so badly that we ended up having to abandon the line and open up the reserve line to keep the skimmer functional :shock: Ever since then, I've used nylon kneehighs to add the cya via the skimmer!

I'm not saying that adding it directly through the skimmer will cause a problem, but go slow and make sure it's passing through the line!! 8)
Well, that's just common sense, isn't it? :roll: :shock: :roll: :poke: :scratch:

CYA does suck at getting dissolved so what i did was take an extra net that goes to my leaf vac and i pour the stabilizer in it and then set that in the skimmer in the basket. it works much better than putting it in the pool and having it not go away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.