OMG! I got it all over me!!!

Quinsee

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2010
Southern Indiana
So, on my 4th year of having a pool and using the TFP method, I just started filtering my pool last week.

First year was great, crystal clear, kids were in awe, wife made me my favorite dish at least once a week. Babies smiled, neighbors envied.
Second year there was a little cloudiness. I vacuumed more and made excuses about the kids not bathing.
Third year was more of a battle; constant cloudiness, but tests were all in range. I replaced the finger system (which did have a 3" crack on the main shaft) in an attempt to get the pile of sand to stop accumulating in the center. Vacuum to Waste. A lot. I make the kids bath 3x a day, just in case it really is them.

Fourth year, after opening, filling, backwashing, I was waiting on the Rinse and, out of boredom, started reading all the options on the pump head...
"Winter. Close. Backwash. Recirculate. Rinse. Filter?!? Wonder what that does. Waaaaiiit.... there ain't no way..." A quick Google sealed it. I'm an idiot.
I had been recirculating (read: NOT FILTERING, BYPASSING THE SAND ENTIRELY) for 3 years. After I got done kicking myself in the butt, I started patting myself on the back for keeping it so clean for so long... w/o Filtering. AT ALL! :hammer:

12 hours on the filter cycle and my pool is the crystal clear oasis TFP first showed me how to maintain.

I'm putting this here just in case someone else (I really hope not) is as minor-detail-challenged as I can be.

thestupiditburns.jpg

cantbrainhavedumb.jpg

Quinsee,

That story made my day! I laughed out loud! I remember back in the 80's when I got my first personal computer. After several months of using it I noticed a button on front that said Turbo. I pressed it and voila! Super speedy computer. This was back in the day of 80486 processors, if anyone knows what that is. I had been running the bloody thing in slow mode which was for older game compatibility. Lesson learned. Thanks for the laugh.

Good luck,

Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can frequently get a smaller (10 pound) bag of "Filter Aid" DE from Wal-Mart.

I wonder if cellulose would also work. Smaller bag, easier to use. Should only need a 1/2 cup or so per dosing via skimmer. 3 pound bad is about $20 and you can get smaller bags online and in stores (not that I have seen the inside of too many LPS lately).

We've all done something similar. The best learned lessons are the hard ones.

I was repairing our washing machine. Got it fixed, but it wouldn't spin. It spun before I worked on it, and the repair had nothing to do with that part of the washer. Worked on it for 3 days, no matter what...it wouldn't spin. I was about to throw in the towel and call a repairman. The wife walked by, put down the lid and it took off spinning....

I still hear about that one every now and then.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You maybe on to an important cost savings idea here, and we may all be thanking you soon. You now know what you can get by with by no filtering - saving money on DE. I would try other combinations. For example, try running with the filter on, but leave the pump off. Could save some significant bucks on electricity. :-D

Honestly - we've all been there, done that. It's an occasional, but unavoidable, side effect of our DIY mentality.

Mike

I did one yesterday, I was reading email on my work computer and went to reply an email. I clicked the reply button....nothing. I clicked it again... Nothing. Restarted the computer , no change

I sent the help desk an email, they replied but I could not reply. The technician. Came and looked at my computer, the email server, the server logs.... Nothing.

Ok, will go back to work and try again letter. So I reached over and turned on my second monitor, there were my reply windows for all those messages.... D'oh!!! Problem solved by a power switch.

The worst part, I have 20 years experience as a help desk tech.

Thimble said:
We've all done something similar. The best learned lessons are the hard ones.

I was repairing our washing machine. Got it fixed, but it wouldn't spin. It spun before I worked on it, and the repair had nothing to do with that part of the washer. Worked on it for 3 days, no matter what...it wouldn't spin. I was about to throw in the towel and call a repairman. The wife walked by, put down the lid and it took off spinning....

I still hear about that one every now and then.

This reminds me of my old washing machine, it had some sort of issue where it would never drain and go to spin cycle if you allowed it to fill up all the way with the lid open (it would start the wash cycle though). If you closed the lid while it was still filling everything would be fine. Over the years a several times other people (house guests, neighbors with broken washing machines, etc.) would use my machine and most of the time even though I told them the above story they would let it fill up all the way with the lid open, then be shocked when they checked back to find their load of laundry sitting soaking in dirty water.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.