Old R-871 .75 ounce bottle of reagent

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit. I have a bottle nearly empty of some 2 year old .75 oz R-871 Reagent. I tested it against a 2 ounce bottle of R-871 Reagent I purchased from TF Testkits back in November. While slamming my pool for Algea I decided to see it there was any difference in reagent results from the older bottle to the newer one. The newer bottle tested 13.3 ppm FC and the older bottle tested 11 ppm FC......I'm wondering how I could clean out the older bottle then refill it some of the 2 oz bottle for reuse. Doing this would be just for convience but it would be nice if I could. Thanks Lawjohn

If you are OCD, you could rinse the old bottle with distilled water, shake out the residual water, and let the bottle air dry before refilling. Probably won't make a difference. Something I struggle with at times since I am OCD.

Just for fun test the same water sample with the same reagent from the different bottles/tips. Post the two FC results. :stirpot:

Actually, that would be an interesting experiment. Switch the tips on the bottles and retest. See if the difference in results was due to age of reagent or just a small difference in the drop size each tip produces.

Sorry for late reply as I'm out of pocket right now. Hmm when I get back I'll switch the tips on the little bit left in the .75 oz bottle and the 2 oz bottle and see if the results switch. it may just be the tips and if so the question is which tip gives the most accurate results of the two tips...if so now what? .John

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.